You honestly don't know how bad it can get

@Keawyeds I have to congratulate you on this thread. You seem to have made a number of posters much more positive about the future of SAFC.

I can appreciate how you felt about Darlow, being brought up in a poor family within the N Wales borderlands I was never going to get to any SAFC games so I started supporting Wrexham FC as a second team simply because I physically could and also afford to pay for it with my £3.50 paper round wages (what was that pocket money thing I used to hear about?)

I didn't love my first team less because I supported a second team. It was quite common hereabouts because there was a peer generated stigma of being a part time supporter never going to see the team you had family ties to. Our families came from Liverpool and Manchester for jobs in the steelworks. They were no less proud of Liverpool, Everton, Man U & Man City than are the exiles who follow SAFC because their parents come from there. Also a fear of the football violence of the time made many parents ban us from ever trying to sneak to a game.

I followed Wrexham from division 4 obscurity, up to the giddy heights of Div 2 and then down from there via many near brushes bankruptcy to the point where a 'businessman' sold the ground out from under the club and tried to evict them. Eventually they went broke and, though a fan-owned phoenix club was formed, I just couldn't connect with it emotionally. I just can't face going back to the place.

You are right, things could be worse, but people don't see that happening to SAFC because of the size of its fan base. Hopefully we will never see a point where an SAFC owner values its property assets more than the team. Thankfully, for all of his faults, Ellis Short wasn't that type of person. That point was what I see as the lowest point in my supporting of SAFC, because it was then that I saw the club staring at oblivion.

Whatever happens now is hard on the pride, but I know we will get back up there.

I'm going to start by saying I'm not happy with where we are in the football league. Obviously I'd love to be back in the Prem, but that's clearly not happening any time soon.
I believe it will happen again, but we'll have to wait.

However, some of the pissy knickered moaning on here is remarkable. Some of you won't be happy while you have a hole in your arse.

Sunderland has always been our family team, and I'd get to go to the match with my Dad and sister when we could - not often but it was a real treat when it came around.

When I was at college, I used to support Darlington. They were in Division 3 as it was at the time. I could afford to get through there on the train or bus from Bishop and the tickets weren't much (at Feethams).
It was great. Football quality was bobbins more often than not, but other teams were equally bobbins so it was about right.
Darlo changed managers more than Sunderland do not. Reynolds's ego drove the club to the brink of financial collapse and it only got worse from there.

There was one shining moment. A Wembley Win. The FA Trophy. What a day that was. But as it turned out it was a bit like when an elderly relative gets a little better just before they die.

You think what we suffer now is bad? Try being charged £20 to watch Darlo play "Hayes and Yeading" in an almost empty soulless bowl.
Then came relegation and administration, hoofed out of the league and forced to reform.

I'd given up on them by then, for numerous reasons I'm afraid, mainly because I'd moved to the North West, but so had many of the people I used to go with. The club I knew had been stripped bare and was almost unrecognisable to me.

But I digress...

As Sunderland fans, it goes without saying we've endured a very rough patch since exiting the Premier League. If we're honest, the rough patch was probably the last few seasons in the Premier League as we struggled to survive in it.
We'd probably overstayed our welcome. However, the double plummet was unprecedented fuck up even by our standards.
Jack Ross (et al) was 2 Wembley Wins away from Cult Status, but it didn't happen. He can look at himself for that, but the players need to look at themselves too.

We are not in the best place, but we have a stadium, we have a team, we have finances - granted not all the money in the world, but just because you have it doesn't mean you buy the right people. We've done that on multiple occasions.
The managerial merry-go-round has turned for us again, but hopefully this time it will stay put for a while longer. The team have it in them to get promoted. I believe the manager does too. I'm going off his record so you'd like to think that's a good sign.

It's very easy to get frustrated with the shower of shite we've watched on the pitch recently, but just for a moment - think about how bad it COULD be - and then go get a pint.
Get behind the new manager, get behind the lads and hopefully we'll get back to winning ways.

TL/DR
Remember, managers and players change but the club is still your club. Optimism gets you further than pessimism
👍

@Keawyeds I have to congratulate you on this thread. You seem to have made a number of posters much more positive about the future of SAFC.

I can appreciate how you felt about Darlow, being brought up in a poor family within the N Wales borderlands I was never going to get to any SAFC games so I started supporting Wrexham FC as a second team simply because I physically could and also afford to pay for it with my £3.50 paper round wages (what was that pocket money thing I used to hear about?)

I didn't love my first team less because I supported a second team. It was quite common hereabouts because there was a peer generated stigma of being a part time supporter never going to see the team you had family ties to. Our families came from Liverpool and Manchester for jobs in the steelworks. They were no less proud of Liverpool, Everton, Man U & Man City than are the exiles who follow SAFC because their parents come from there. Also a fear of the football violence of the time made many parents ban us from ever trying to sneak to a game.

I followed Wrexham from division 4 obscurity, up to the giddy heights of Div 2 and then down from there via many near brushes bankruptcy to the point where a 'businessman' sold the ground out from under the club and tried to evict them. Eventually they went broke and, though a fan-owned phoenix club was formed, I just couldn't connect with it emotionally. I just can't face going back to the place.

You are right, things could be worse, but people don't see that happening to SAFC because of the size of its fan base. Hopefully we will never see a point where an SAFC owner values its property assets more than the team. Thankfully, for all of his faults, Ellis Short wasn't that type of person. That point was what I see as the lowest point in my supporting of SAFC, because it was then that I saw the club staring at oblivion.

Whatever happens now is hard on the pride, but I know we will get back up there.

Thank you for that. I'm glad that some can see my point of view, and reasoning

I've said on previous threads I think the Moyes era was worse. Chucking the towel in after 2 games and knocking the ball out for John Terry. Shameful days.

Buxton was worse than now. I'm sure he's a lovely bloke but watching him in his flat cap while the mags were looking like winning the league. Twatful!

I'd happily take rebuilding in League One for a few seasons if we come back stronger.

I'm going to start by saying I'm not happy with where we are in the football league. Obviously I'd love to be back in the Prem, but that's clearly not happening any time soon.

However, some of the pissy knickered moaning on here is remarkable. Some of you won't be happy while you have a hole in your arse.

Sunderland has always been our family team, and I'd get to go to the match with my Dad and sister when we could - not often but it was a real treat when it came around.

When I was at college, I used to support Darlington. They were in Division 3 as it was at the time. I could afford to get through there on the train or bus from Bishop and the tickets weren't much (at Feethams).
It was great. Football quality was bobbins more often than not, but other teams were equally bobbins so it was about right.
Darlo changed managers more than Sunderland do not. Reynolds's ego drove the club to the brink of financial collapse and it only got worse from there.

There was one shining moment. A Wembley Win. The FA Trophy. What a day that was. But as it turned out it was a bit like when an elderly relative gets a little better just before they die.

You think what we suffer now is bad? Try being charged £20 to watch Darlo play "Hayes and Yeading" in an almost empty soulless bowl.
Then came relegation and administration, hoofed out of the league and forced to reform.

I'd given up on them by then, for numerous reasons I'm afraid, mainly because I'd moved to the North West, but so had many of the people I used to go with. The club I knew had been stripped bare and was almost unrecognisable to me.

But I digress...

As Sunderland fans, it goes without saying we've endured a very rough patch since exiting the Premier League. If we're honest, the rough patch was probably the last few seasons in the Premier League as we struggled to survive in it.
We'd probably overstayed our welcome. However, the double plummet was unprecedented fuck up even by our standards.
Jack Ross (et al) was 2 Wembley Wins away from Cult Status, but it didn't happen. He can look at himself for that, but the players need to look at themselves too.

We are not in the best place, but we have a stadium, we have a team, we have finances - granted not all the money in the world, but just because you have it doesn't mean you buy the right people. We've done that on multiple occasions.
The managerial merry-go-round has turned for us again, but hopefully this time it will stay put for a while longer. The team have it in them to get promoted. I believe the manager does too. I'm going off his record so you'd like to think that's a good sign.

It's very easy to get frustrated with the shower of shite we've watched on the pitch recently, but just for a moment - think about how bad it COULD be - and then go get a pint.
Get behind the new manager, get behind the lads and hopefully we'll get back to winning ways.

TL/DR
Remember, managers and players change but the club is still your club. Optimism gets you further than pessimism
if you support two teams it's a bloody dsgrace

apart from Sunderland and South Shields of course!

I don't wanna jump on the bandwagon here but I have honestly no idea how anyone supports two teams.

Also, If you are going to do it, atleast make one of them good. I barely manage to cope with the emotions of supporting one shit team, let alone 2.

I've said on previous threads I think the Moyes era was worse. Chucking the towel in after 2 games and knocking the ball out for John Terry. Shameful days.

Buxton was worse than now. I'm sure he's a lovely bloke but watching him in his flat cap while the mags were looking like winning the league. Twatful!

I'd happily take rebuilding in League One for a few seasons if we come back stronger.
I f***ing hate Moyes but all of this ' throwing in the towel ' is over the top , he said what the majority of people already knew, that was all, if you want to have a go at him have a go over the jobs for the boys , Gibson, Pienaar, Lescott, Oviedo, Anichebe, 3 twats from Man Utd. Instead of signing M'Villa that's what pisses me off more than that comment. Sorry mate , don't want to fall out over it but that's just my opinion. FTM

You should have got some free “money” off Micky Thomas mate.
You wouldn’t have missed any Lads games.

But I digress...

TL/DR

Well said Marra.Nice to see some well-considered optimism instead of childish foot-stamping.

But I digress...

TL/DR
Top Notch mate cheers.

I may have misjudged the timing of this "Come on folks it could be worse" post
You may have. On the other hand this is a board where people express their opinions, feelings and experiences.

Why should you not? Your messages are coherent, interesting and well constructed.

Compare with the mountains of merde in a good deal of the resposes. I would rather read yours than theirs. Keep it up.

This is a bad time for our club. You can't justify our position because other teams are in a worse position. It's like Liverpool saying it doesn't matter if we lost because Sunderland are in League One - we should be thankful we are not.

Back