You honestly don't know how bad it can get

I'm going to start by saying I'm not happy with where we are in the football league. Obviously I'd love to be back in the Prem, but that's clearly not happening any time soon.
I believe it will happen again, but we'll have to wait.

However, some of the pissy knickered moaning on here is remarkable. Some of you won't be happy while you have a hole in your arse.

Sunderland has always been our family team, and I'd get to go to the match with my Dad and sister when we could - not often but it was a real treat when it came around.

When I was at college, I used to support Darlington. They were in Division 3 as it was at the time. I could afford to get through there on the train or bus from Bishop and the tickets weren't much (at Feethams).
It was great. Football quality was bobbins more often than not, but other teams were equally bobbins so it was about right.
Darlo changed managers more than Sunderland do not. Reynolds's ego drove the club to the brink of financial collapse and it only got worse from there.

There was one shining moment. A Wembley Win. The FA Trophy. What a day that was. But as it turned out it was a bit like when an elderly relative gets a little better just before they die.

You think what we suffer now is bad? Try being charged £20 to watch Darlo play "Hayes and Yeading" in an almost empty soulless bowl.
Then came relegation and administration, hoofed out of the league and forced to reform.

I'd given up on them by then, for numerous reasons I'm afraid, mainly because I'd moved to the North West, but so had many of the people I used to go with. The club I knew had been stripped bare and was almost unrecognisable to me.

But I digress...

As Sunderland fans, it goes without saying we've endured a very rough patch since exiting the Premier League. If we're honest, the rough patch was probably the last few seasons in the Premier League as we struggled to survive in it.
We'd probably overstayed our welcome. However, the double plummet was unprecedented fuck up even by our standards.
Jack Ross (et al) was 2 Wembley Wins away from Cult Status, but it didn't happen. He can look at himself for that, but the players need to look at themselves too.

We are not in the best place, but we have a stadium, we have a team, we have finances - granted not all the money in the world, but just because you have it doesn't mean you buy the right people. We've done that on multiple occasions.
The managerial merry-go-round has turned for us again, but hopefully this time it will stay put for a while longer. The team have it in them to get promoted. I believe the manager does too. I'm going off his record so you'd like to think that's a good sign.

It's very easy to get frustrated with the shower of shite we've watched on the pitch recently, but just for a moment - think about how bad it COULD be - and then go get a pint.
Get behind the new manager, get behind the lads and hopefully we'll get back to winning ways.

TL/DR
Remember, managers and players change but the club is still your club. Optimism gets you further than pessimism

I understand what you're saying and the sentiment behind it although football has changed and fans with it, not all for the better.

When I was young, travelling up to Sunderland and being in with what I perceived as a group coming together made life better through some hard times as a kid.

But now, with the information available and how the game has changed, I at least believe myself to have some insight into how we as a club should be doing things better. I might be completely wrong, I don't know but I defend my right to moan on here when it appears extremely frustrating to me to see it ran so badly.

I understand what you're saying and the sentiment behind it although football has changed and fans with it, not all for the better.

When I was young, travelling up to Sunderland and being in with what I perceived as a group coming together made life better through some hard times as a kid.

But now, with the information available and how the game has changed, I at least believe myself to have some insight into how we as a club should be doing things better. I might be completely wrong, I don't know but I defend my right to moan on here when it appears extremely frustrating to me to see it ran so badly.

Completely justifiable and well put.

It is you who is struggling with your downward looking shite. Look up man. Have some pride.

Ah I'm with you now.
I know what you mean. I want better. The fans deserve better. I'm certainly not saying "settle for this". That would be ridiculous.
We should be better than where we are. We have the ability but perhaps not the conviction.
Hopefully a(nother) new manager will be able to get the most out of the team, but for now, being angry/disappointed is justifiable.

I just hope that feeling passes - ideally with the first CONVINCING win

I'm going to start by saying I'm not happy with where we are in the football league. Obviously I'd love to be back in the Prem, but that's clearly not happening any time soon.

However, some of the pissy knickered moaning on here is remarkable. Some of you won't be happy while you have a hole in your arse.

Sunderland has always been our family team, and I'd get to go to the match with my Dad and sister when we could - not often but it was a real treat when it came around.

When I was at college, I used to support Darlington. They were in Division 3 as it was at the time. I could afford to get through there on the train or bus from Bishop and the tickets weren't much (at Feethams).
It was great. Football quality was bobbins more often than not, but other teams were equally bobbins so it was about right.
Darlo changed managers more than Sunderland do not. Reynolds's ego drove the club to the brink of financial collapse and it only got worse from there.

There was one shining moment. A Wembley Win. The FA Trophy. What a day that was. But as it turned out it was a bit like when an elderly relative gets a little better just before they die.

You think what we suffer now is bad? Try being charged £20 to watch Darlo play "Hayes and Yeading" in an almost empty soulless bowl.
Then came relegation and administration, hoofed out of the league and forced to reform.

I'd given up on them by then, for numerous reasons I'm afraid, mainly because I'd moved to the North West, but so had many of the people I used to go with. The club I knew had been stripped bare and was almost unrecognisable to me.

But I digress...

As Sunderland fans, it goes without saying we've endured a very rough patch since exiting the Premier League. If we're honest, the rough patch was probably the last few seasons in the Premier League as we struggled to survive in it.
We'd probably overstayed our welcome. However, the double plummet was unprecedented fuck up even by our standards.
Jack Ross (et al) was 2 Wembley Wins away from Cult Status, but it didn't happen. He can look at himself for that, but the players need to look at themselves too.

We are not in the best place, but we have a stadium, we have a team, we have finances - granted not all the money in the world, but just because you have it doesn't mean you buy the right people. We've done that on multiple occasions.
The managerial merry-go-round has turned for us again, but hopefully this time it will stay put for a while longer. The team have it in them to get promoted. I believe the manager does too. I'm going off his record so you'd like to think that's a good sign.

It's very easy to get frustrated with the shower of shite we've watched on the pitch recently, but just for a moment - think about how bad it COULD be - and then go get a pint.
Get behind the new manager, get behind the lads and hopefully we'll get back to winning ways.

TL/DR
Remember, managers and players change but the club is still your club. Optimism gets you further than pessimism
If your clubs still your club then how come you don’t support Darlington now, what an odd post

Imagine having a pop at someone for going to watch his local teams, rather than pretending to support Man U or whoever was on top at the time.

Give your heads a shake, man.

But I digress...

TL/DR
You honestly think going up via the play-offs in league 1 and winning the Checkatrade trophy would have awarded Ross cult status ffs :lol: it would have been job done, no more no less.

What a f***ing weird post, comparing us to Darlington claiming it could be worse. They are having the worst period in their history due to mismanagement, sounds pretty familiar to be honest

You honestly think going up via the play-offs in league 1 and winning the Checkatrade trophy would have awarded Ross cult status ffs :lol: it would have been job done, no more no less.

Perhaps a slight exaggeration, but he would have been held in high esteem if he'd come in got us promoted and won a trophy in the same season. That would have been significantly more than "job done"
What a f***ing weird post, comparing us to Darlington claiming it could be worse. They are having the worst period in their history due to mismanagement, sounds pretty familiar to be honest

I think the worst bit probably happened for Darlo - as was - hopefully the new Darlo are on the up.

I've always supported Sunderland (apart from a few months in the huff after we sold my hero, Jim Baxter, when I was 9), but I lived in Darlo for just over 2 years when I was 14 to 16. I couldn't afford to go to all Sunderland's games, so I sometimes wandered down to Feethams to watch Darlo (gee, they were abysmal in those days). I suppose in that sense I supported them (I paid entrance money and I actually wanted them to win, though they only did once when I was there). And I used to wear a Darlo lapel badge in the 80s alongside my SAFC one, but that didn't detract from my love of Sunderland.

With over 100 away games under my belt from the mid-70s to the mid-80s, I think I served my time following the Lads, but I think it is possible to support two teams, though not with the same level of passion. Of course I never wore the Darlo badge when we played them at Feethams in friendlies or at Roker in the FA Cup because you have to know who your first love is! But I did travel from Oxford to Northampton to see them play one midweek night in about 1989 when I was staying down there. They lost of course!

And the weirdest thing watching Darlo at Feethams was when they played Hartlepool (1972-ish). All match the Darlo fans were singing "Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough". Well, with about 10 minutes left the Poolies decided they were hard enough, so came charging around the ground - there were no barriers and you could get all the way around. The Darlo fans suddenly went "They're coming!" and started running for it. Feethams had a cricket pitch between the terraces and the exits and there ensued a mass battle on the cricket pitch. It was mayhem! I just stayed on the terraces with a couple of old geezers, and by the time the match finished the battle was all over and I walked home safely. Hartlepool won 2-1, naturally!

Perhaps a slight exaggeration, but he would have been held in high esteem if he'd come in got us promoted and won a trophy in the same season. That would have been significantly more than "job done"

I think the worst bit probably happened for Darlo - as was - hopefully the new Darlo are on the up.
I disagree but fair enough, all opinions. The checkatrade was a nothing trophy and going up/winning the play-offs to me was a bare minimum requirement in my opinion

Back