You have an unlimited budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

UaeExile

Winger
But you have as many SLR's as you can carry, enough lenses to match and all you want is something that will slip in your pocket.

What do you buy

Go...................

Is this just asking what's the best point and shoot money can buy?

Is this just asking what's the best point and shoot money can buy?
Pretty much, yeah. Although with all these micro three thirds on the market now, there's a little more choice when it comes to pocketable cameras.

I seen the Leica V-Lux 5 and V-Lux 20 yesterday, however both are almost identical to the Panasonic versions and significantly more expensive.

How big is this pocket?
You're wearing normal cut jeans. none of these stupid skin tight efforts and none of those that sag of your backside either.

Leica M9 (and whatever trousers you need to wear to get it in the pocket)?

On a similar note, what I'd like to know about is the existence of a digital compact camera that is a kind of digital equivalent to the Olympus XA, mju-2, Contax T5, Nikon 35Ti, that sort of thing. In other words, something very small with a really sh1t hot FAST (eg f2.8) PRIME lens and very little in the way of gadgetry, menus and the like. Aperture and shutter priority would be nice to have a bit of control. And not a Leica, cos I can't afford one. Or does every manufacturer now insist on making compact cameras with tiny, slow, zoom lenses? If someone makes something like this for about £200 I'd be very interested to know about it. The problem is that people are obsessed with features, to the detriment of quality (and equate quality with megapixels, zoom range etc), so manufacturers make cameras with iffy optics and loads of megapixels.

maybe that is because the average person in the street thinks that the more megapixels a camera has then the better it is, sad but true.
how about one of the sony nex cameras, you can get a 16mm f2.8 pancake lens for them.

maybe that is because the average person in the street thinks that the more megapixels a camera has then the better it is, sad but true.
how about one of the sony nex cameras, you can get a 16mm f2.8 pancake lens for them.

This, body in one pocket, lens in the other. If that's not allowed then Canon S95.

They look great but a bit pricey. I guess the problem might be that there isn't a market for a small high quality simple digital compact camera like I described. But if there was a market for such a thing in 35mm, does that demand not exist still? Maybe the manufacturers are scared to produce something that might be a classic that people will want and keep for years? The digital camera market seems to be based on cameras becoming 'out-of-date' or stopping working after 2-3 years and people buying another one. It's partly why these simple old film cameras are so appealing.

On a similar note, what I'd like to know about is the existence of a digital compact camera that is a kind of digital equivalent to the Olympus XA, mju-2, Contax T5, Nikon 35Ti, that sort of thing. In other words, something very small with a really sh1t hot FAST (eg f2.8) PRIME lens and very little in the way of gadgetry, menus and the like. Aperture and shutter priority would be nice to have a bit of control. And not a Leica, cos I can't afford one. Or does every manufacturer now insist on making compact cameras with tiny, slow, zoom lenses? If someone makes something like this for about £200 I'd be very interested to know about it. The problem is that people are obsessed with features, to the detriment of quality (and equate quality with megapixels, zoom range etc), so manufacturers make cameras with iffy optics and loads of megapixels.
Was a little silly of me to say "unlimited" :lol: The M9 is the dogs bollocks and only beaten by the older Leica's. I've got a fair bit to blow on a new camera but the M9 is out of my price range :lol:

I might look at the NEX-5 but I'm not sure - Pana have some nice looking cameras out like the GF2 and LX5 but finding them in Abu Dhabi is like looking for rocky horse shit. Probably need a drive to Dubai.

Forgot to mention in my wishlist that it should have minimal shutter lag - most digital compacts are terrible for this, and it's a massive pain in the arse.

On a similar note, what I'd like to know about is the existence of a digital compact camera that is a kind of digital equivalent to the Olympus XA, mju-2, Contax T5, Nikon 35Ti, that sort of thing. In other words, something very small with a really sh1t hot FAST (eg f2.8) PRIME lens and very little in the way of gadgetry, menus and the like. Aperture and shutter priority would be nice to have a bit of control. And not a Leica, cos I can't afford one. Or does every manufacturer now insist on making compact cameras with tiny, slow, zoom lenses? If someone makes something like this for about £200 I'd be very interested to know about it. .

A bit over budget, but for £300 you can get a panasonic LX3 - very good camera :)

But you have as many SLR's as you can carry, enough lenses to match and all you want is something that will slip in your pocket.

What do you buy

Go...................

A panasonic GF1 with a F1.7 lens will fit in a coat pocket and a zoom in the other pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back