You are the Ref.....

There is another element to this which covers the 'commonsense' aspect. If play was well away from where he cut the corner it would be ridiculous to stop the game. When the play stops the referee would have the option of showing a yellow based on whether he was pedantic (so in most cases yes). Equally if play was anywhere near then the game should be stopped immediately the referee is aware and an uncontested drop ball given to the team in possession from where it was when the play was stopped. The player should be shown a yellow. If a second yellow in either case then also a red, but he is already 'non-playing' so no loss from the 11.

You can get a yellow card for entering the field without the refs permission, you can also get a yellow card for leaving the field without the refs permission. So two yellows in that action.

....But Rule 99 is about using common sense, which negates most 'pedantic, technical bullshit'

In refereeing circles it's called Law 18 - Common Sense and no referee even the most pedantic, attention seeking fool would apply the strict letter of the law in this circumstance or risk the ire and loss of respect of his colleagues or the F.A.

BTW - the ref on Tuesday night was Graham Salisbury I think, who regularly refs in the Championship and also the Premier League. Hence the players had more respect. His "presence" (the confidence with which he want about his job) had a lot to do with it.

Following the incident where a Liverpool player passed the ball to a guy who had just been subbed and was walking around the perimeter, I can see it being made that Bibs are strategically placed around the perimeter (maybe with ball boys) and a player has to put it on.

ballotelli would be fucked.

None of the above, it would be a drop ball from the position the ball was at when you noticed he was on the pitch and caution Maguire for re-entering the field of play without permission, if he had already been cautioned then it would still be a second yellow card and a red card but we would have 11 men remaining on the pitch.

The team that had possession of the ball at the time you noticed, should receive the ball uncontested (although the Ipswich ref didn’t know this).
I like that it’s possible to have a player sent off and still have 11 men legally.

Back