Yorkshire Ripper : Left for dead

My dads got a Geordie accent but was arrested and questioned. He was working in South Wales and his landlady turned him in, he had been staying there for weeks.
He got off with it mind.

Interesting programme now on Ch 5, but why do they keep referring to "Wearside jack" as a Geordie?

Because at the time we all sang, on the terraces, "We all agree, Jack the Ripper's a Geordie."

In those days, irrespective of what people now claim to the contrary, we sang about being Geordies every week.

Wouldn’t Geordie have been the common used term back then? When did Mackem come into usage?

I first heard the term in 1980 but it didn't come into common usage among pals of mine until the mid 80s.

By 1990 it was a huge compliment to be referred to as a makem - principally due to play off semi etc.

By the time Berb named his horse it was all over.

Aye. All the time I was at uni I was called a Geordie. You just went with the flow back then but corrected them by saying you weren’t from Newcastle.
Me too, all the time. Got the When The Boat Comes In song sung a few times too. Didn`t bother me. Just a bit of banter and usually replied with a Cockney, Scouser or Brummie reference depending on which they were closest too and if I didn`t know, I`d just call them a Cockney anyway..

Back