Yorkshire CCC

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Colonel

My lad has been invited down to Headingley on 12 January 2013 for trials with Yorkshire CCC. He's 11.

One of the coaches is Andrew Gale the Yorkshire Captain. If he gets through the trial he will be selected as one of the 16 members of their Junior Professional Academy (?) and would receive 56 hours of cricket training from Yorkshire CCC and would also have the opportunity to play in 3 representative games for YCCC in front of cricket scouts, professionals and the Head Coach at YCCC, Jason Gillespie.

Does anyone know much about the junior setup at YCCC and can give me some sort of context for this? He was with the Durham Cricket Board last year and I'm assuming that this doesnt bar him for attending any trials with other Counties?

YCCCC,like any other county,will have to comply with very rigorous standards of coaching provision and level of facilities laid down by the ECB which will be closely monitored so I don't think you should have any misgivings about how theyll be treated.

From what I've recently heard about these trials is that he will can still have a trial with other counties, I assume you're waiting to see if Durham will offer him a trial as well. I think if he gets selected for the Yorkshire Academy, that might change things.

Slightly different system, but we've got a friend whose 12 year old daughter has just been selected for the Gloucestershire ladies' development team for next season and she's now bound to that from each season to the next so can't go looking for trials else where. Obviously the ladies' system is very different from the men's, but might have similar rules once players get selected for the academy squads.

Good luck to your lad! You must be chuffed to bits for him.

Yorkshire has a much bigger catchment area than Durham so the chances of making the representitive sides at each age group are a lot slimmer than at Durham. It's been the case in the past that lads released from the Yorks setup have been picked up by Durham, Cummings and Barnes spring to mind.
Having seen the Durham youth setup as both a father (twice) and a coach, the only advice I would give is to be patient, if your son is good enough to play junior cricket for Yorks then he will be good enough to play for the Durham cricket board too. If you do decide to take him to Yorks then you will have a lot of travel commitments and getting him to training, coaching sessions will be a lot more involved than if he were involved at Durham.
Your son is only 11 and has plenty of time to be a cricketer if that's what he wants, and more than ample time to play for Durham, it's a big decision you'll be making for him so early, committing him to another County at that age when he has the Home of Durham cricket on his doorstep is a massive step, and not to be taken lightly in my opinion.
Good luck to you both in whatever you choose to do, but whatever choice you make, make sure he enjoys his cricket wherever he plays, after all it's only a game and should be fun, once the fun goes out of it other pastimes take over.

Yorkshire has a much bigger catchment area than Durham so the chances of making the representitive sides at each age group are a lot slimmer than at Durham. It's been the case in the past that lads released from the Yorks setup have been picked up by Durham, Cummings and Barnes spring to mind.
Having seen the Durham youth setup as both a father (twice) and a coach, the only advice I would give is to be patient, if your son is good enough to play junior cricket for Yorks then he will be good enough to play for the Durham cricket board too. If you do decide to take him to Yorks then you will have a lot of travel commitments and getting him to training, coaching sessions will be a lot more involved than if he were involved at Durham.
Your son is only 11 and has plenty of time to be a cricketer if that's what he wants, and more than ample time to play for Durham, it's a big decision you'll be making for him so early, committing him to another County at that age when he has the Home of Durham cricket on his doorstep is a massive step, and not to be taken lightly in my opinion.
Good luck to you both in whatever you choose to do, but whatever choice you make, make sure he enjoys his cricket wherever he plays, after all it's only a game and should be fun, once the fun goes out of it other pastimes take over.
I've e-mailed one of the coaches at the DCB to tell him about this and I'm assuming that he will come back and tell me what the score is here. I dont want to burn his bridges with the DCB.

It could be of course that he goes down for the trial and thats it, he doesnt get in. Whatever happens I couldnt miss the opportunity for him to train at Headingley with another County. It'll be a good experience for him.

It'll be interesting too see what the differences are between the 2 county setups and also what YCCC make of my lad.

What Harry says is spot on, can't add much more to that.

The DCB are without doubt among the best in their youth set up, and from your past posts your son is in good hands at CLS. He will receive brilliant coaching where he is, and at his age I wouldn't say the experience of trialling elsewhere will necessarily outweigh the enjoyment of playing with his mates.

I'd recommend you speak to the senior lads at CLS though. Most of them have been involved in junior county set-ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back