York beer garden pubs

Golden Ball , Minster Inn and the Wellington .

Golden Ball, York

Minster Inn, York

Wellington, York
The Wellington is one of my all time favourite pubs. I used to live in Frances Street, the next street over. We walked back from town shortly after moving there and took a path up from the river. We ended up walking up that street by accident and suddenly spotted this hidden pub.

I remember it being £1.12 per pint, when town was about £1.50-60. If you went for the quiz on a Sunday night, there would be masses of sarnies and the quiz bloke had to walk into each of the 3 rooms to ask the questions. Also skinning my knuckles on the mantle piece shelf even using the tiny cue on the pool table.

When we lived in York, we often had a stroll to the Phoenix, proper old fashioned pub, no jukebox, no music, no pool table with a nice little beer garden out the back.
The Phoenix Inn
75 George St, York YO1 9PT
01904 656401

The Wellington is one of my all time favourite pubs. I used to live in Frances Street, the next street over. We walked back from town shortly after moving there and took a path up from the river. We ended up walking up that street by accident and suddenly spotted this hidden pub.

I remember it being £1.12 per pint, when town was about £1.50-60. If you went for the quiz on a Sunday night, there would be masses of sarnies and the quiz bloke had to walk into each of the 3 rooms to ask the questions. Also skinning my knuckles on the mantle piece shelf even using the tiny cue on the pool table.

Think its around £2.10 now for a pint of OBB

When we lived in York, we often had a stroll to the Phoenix, proper old fashioned pub, no jukebox, no music, no pool table with a nice little beer garden out the back.
The Phoenix Inn
75 George St, York YO1 9PT
01904 656401

Was in their the other week on a Friday night, cracking pub, full of proper blokes just enjoying a pint and a bit of Craic. Came across a new pub I had never previously visitedl, The Black Horse in the city centre that had a cracking atmosphere. The Rook and Gaskill is my favourite though, for beer and atmosphere

Last edited:
Definitely after your time. I lived there September 2013 until February 2014. He grew up in York and Leeds, but he died in October 2015,so I guess he was born in about 1977, so he wasn't a contemporary of yours.

Lovely city, mind.
Might have known his dad.... Or knocked his mam off.

Sam Smiths policy now is no mobile phones and no ecigs inside the pub or in the beer garden.

Back