Yakuza

About 10 hours in to Like a Dragon. Really enjoying it and not at all what I expected. Are the others similar? I'm aware LaD is the only one in English

All the rest are brawlers so the combat is different, although both are over the top combat. The side quests and mini games are generally the same sorta thing. The upgrading system is different from game to game and LaD puts a lot more emphasis into upgrading your gear (it is an rpg after all). The previous games you could basically use your fists from start to finish and just fighting would upgrade your characters stats.

I'm onto chapter 5 of LaD and it is very good. Still totally a Yakuza game but with turn based combat and a funnier tone so far.

Last edited:
All the rest are brawlers so the combat is different, although both are over the top combat. The side quests and mini games are generally the same sorta thing. The upgrading system is different from game to game and LaD puts a lot more emphasis into upgrading your gear (it is an rpg after all). The previous games you could basically use your fists from start to finish and just fighting would upgrade your characters stats.

I'm onto chapter 5 of LaD and it is very good. Still totally a Yakuza game but with turn based combat and a funnier tone so far.
I'm really looking forward to play in Like a Dragon. Still have kiwami 2 - 6 to do first like. I want to play judgment and the new judgement as well.

about 35 hours into Like a Dragon now and maybe it's the best Yakuza game. The structure of the game totally fits the rpg style. Obviously the first 7 have the historic story arc still

Started Yakuza Kiwami, about 20 odd hours in to it so far, struggling to get in to it. The story is a lot worse than 0's so far IMO, and I miss Maharaja :( Only thing I like more than 0 is the Majima Everywhere, love seeing that mental bastard pop up in weird places.

45 hours into Like a Dragon and it's fantastic. It really makes the side stuff worthwhile with the rpg style it employs and many are fleshed out to a greater extent. Must have spent half of my time dicking around and levelling my character. Lots of call backs to the previous games as well which is nice. In chapter 9 so looks like a little more than half way through according to the 16 in the game. Definitely works the turn based change.

I'm getting near the end of Yakuza kiwami now. Looks like it will take me less than half the time that 0 did.
Just finished Kiwami, done in 50 hours compared to 0 which I finished in 110 hours. Enjoyed it, but nowhere near enough as 0. Just started Kiwami 2, didn't realise it was a completely different engine to Kiwami 1, everything feels smooth as f**k :lol:

Just finished Kiwami, done in 50 hours compared to 0 which I finished in 110 hours. Enjoyed it, but nowhere near enough as 0. Just started Kiwami 2, didn't realise it was a completely different engine to Kiwami 1, everything feels smooth as f**k :lol:
That and 6 were the first ones to use the new engine. It's a much improved update to how fluid the game feels. No loads going into shops and stuff is a great quality of life improvement.

I think I've got 3 chapters to go so might get it finished this weekend. Already downloaded kiwami 2 because I saw it on sale for 7 quidish.

Back