XI you would pick from current squad.

McLaughlin
McLaughlin Ozturk Baldwin Hume
McGeouch Power
O’Nien
Maguire McGeady
Grigg

Think that Baldwin as a footballer is better than Flanagan and will do better with a Centre Half partner who will do the more physical stuff so he can drop off as more of a sweeper. Also think Ethan Robson shouldn’t be overlooked to partner someone in Centre Midfield. He gives a different option in terms of athleticism and box to box ability compared to last season.

You can pick any 11 that you want its how they are told to play that matters.
If we persist with trying to stretch the game with these players we won't do too well.

For what its worth I'd go

Mclaughlin
Mclauglin Flanagan Baldwin Oviedo
Honeyman Mcgeouch O'Nein
Watmore Grigg Mcgeady​

Play a high line, high pressing game, Mcgeouch sitting, Honeyman and O'Nein swarming the opposition.
Grigg on the shoulder, Mcgeady and Watmore going for goal rather than crossing, Full backs pushing up to cross.

I'd expect long balls all game which with Mcgeouch sitting Baldwin and Flanagan should be able to cover as he'll drop back and cover meaning they don't have to cover the entire back line themselves like this season.
Ideally I'd like to replace both of them and probably Honeyman but that team set up that way would get more points than last season.

If we persist with trying to stretch the game with these players we won't do too well.

Mclaughlin
Honeyman Mcgeouch O'Nein
Watmore Grigg Mcgeady​

Play a high line, high pressing game, Mcgeouch sitting, Honeyman and O'Nein swarming the opposition.
Grigg on the shoulder, Mcgeady and Watmore going for goal rather than crossing, Full backs pushing up to cross.

I'd expect long balls all game which with Mcgeouch sitting Baldwin and Flanagan should be able to cover as he'll drop back and cover meaning they don't have to cover the entire back line themselves like this season.
Ideally I'd like to replace both of them and probably Honeyman but that team set up that way would get more points than last season.
Like the gist of the side but Honeyman always looks knackered after about 20 mins how he lasts 90 mins I can never work out , he seems to tread water , Power is perhaps little better but isn't as lightweight .

McLaughlin

McLaughlin - Flanagan - Baldwin - Oviedo

McGeouch

O'Nien - Honeyman

Maguire------------------------------------McGeady

Grigg​

Having to pick a side from this shite is like the bastard Tories having to choose between Boris and Hunt , makes me want to cry, I'm off to bed ! Fuck the f***ing Mags !

This would by my current XI

GK John Mc

RB Connor Mc
CB Ozturk
CB Flannaghan
LB Oviedo

RW Gooch
CM Leadbitter
CM Power
LW McGeady

AM Embleton

CF Grigg

If Oviedo goes then Hume comes in.

I'd also like to show a bit faith in youth and give Embleton a chance to play in his natural position, hopefully he does sign the contract. He is creative and can play through balls to Grigg.

I've picked the new RB only as it's his natural position.
Not bad apart from I'd have mcguire on the right of midfield and maybe O'nein at no 10.

This would by my current XI

GK John Mc

RB Connor Mc
CB Ozturk
CB Flannaghan
LB Oviedo

RW Gooch
CM Leadbitter
CM Power
LW McGeady

AM Embleton

CF Grigg

If Oviedo goes then Hume comes in.

I'd also like to show a bit faith in youth and give Embleton a chance to play in his natural position, hopefully he does sign the contract. He is creative and can play through balls to Grigg.

I've picked the new RB only as it's his natural position.
So no place for arguably one of our better players of last season, Luke O’Nien?

Mclaughlin
Honeyman Mcgeouch O'Nein
Watmore Grigg Mcgeady​

I'd be orgasmic if JR did this except play is favourite honeyman

Number 1 is McLaughlin,
And number 2 is McLaughlin...

I certainly wouldn't play Gooch. Maguire in the 10 role, O'Nien in midfield and possibly Watmore wide right depending how he goes pre season.

Not bad apart from I'd have mcguire on the right of midfield and maybe O'nein at no 10.
I was thinking about O'Nien in the no 10, he would give you legs and energy. However its Embletons natural position, he has it in his locker to play through balls. He can also score goals. I want to give our young lads a chance.

So no place for arguably one of our better players of last season, Luke O’Nien?
Yes. See the above post

Mclaughlin
Honeyman Mcgeouch O'Nein
Watmore Grigg Mcgeady​

You've got a typo marra.... Who did you mean instead of Honeyman?

Number 1 is McLaughlin,
And number 2 is McLaughlin...

I certainly wouldn't play Gooch. Maguire in the 10 role, O'Nien in midfield and possibly Watmore wide right depending how he goes pre season.

Agree with this.... We need O9 in midfield and Watmore out wide if he's fit. Maguire in the 10 role. Not sure Grigg can play up front as lone striker.

Last edited:

Back