Xbox series x won’t read disk

D

DrManhattan

Anyone had this problem? Disk drive won’t work at all - tried contacting Microsoft but the warranty is only a year (bought it in May 21). They’ve quoted me 250 to fix it.

@DrManhattan i indeed, they're trying it on. Push them and it'll get sorted. Where did you buy it? The place you bought it are the ones to push, unless it was direct via MS, if so push them.
I’ve messaged the retailer this morning. Thanks!
They’ve came back to me with the following:

As your Console was purchased on 16/04/21 this order falls both outside our 30 day No Quibble Return Period and indeed the Manufacturers 12 month warranty period. We as the retailer are able to consider a return for full refund within a 6 month period from the date of purchase, and are able to liaise with Microsoft during the12 month manufacturers warranty period, should you have trouble with your purchase. As per our terms and conditions, we are unfortunately not able to assist with a product failure beyond the 12 Month manufacturers warranty period. Please do accept my apologies that we are unfortunately not able to assist with a replacement device, repair or refund on this occasion.

Please see the below link to the Website Terms and conditions regarding your purchase:

Terms and Conditions - 4Gadgets | Xbox All Access

Will it be worth trying to contact Microsoft again?

Last edited by a moderator:

As your Console was purchased on 16/04/21 this order falls both outside our 30 day No Quibble Return Period and indeed the Manufacturers 12 month warranty period. We as the retailer are able to consider a return for full refund within a 6 month period from the date of purchase, and are able to liaise with Microsoft during the12 month manufacturers warranty period, should you have trouble with your purchase. As per our terms and conditions, we are unfortunately not able to assist with a product failure beyond the 12 Month manufacturers warranty period. Please do accept my apologies that we are unfortunately not able to assist with a replacement device, repair or refund on this occasion.

Please see the below link to the Website Terms and conditions regarding your purchase:

go back to them with this: Letter to ask for a faulty item to be repaired or replaced - Which?

it’s the law, they can’t avoid it, as much as they will try…

make sure you keep going at the retailer and not Microsoft, as your ‘contract’ is with the retailer who sold the item.

They think their terms and conditions are above the law! Morons.
Unfortunately, the onus is on you to show that the fault was inherent. Have a look around the internet and see if this is a common problem.

Last edited:
They think their terms and conditions are above the law! Morons.
Unfortunately, the onus is on you to show that the fault was inherent. Have a look around the internet and see if this is a common problem.

it’s also a case of should last a reasonable amount of time, a disc drive on a £400+ console should absolutely last more than 12 months.

Yeah, but the onus is on the consumer after 6 months.

agree, quite a ‘grey‘ area tho. In this instance a fault must have been there since the start, maybe build quality, for it to fail this quickly. Others haven’t failed, so this one’s a bad egg. I’m sure they’ll cave in After a few pushbacks.

agree, quite a ‘grey‘ area tho. In this instance a fault must have been there since the start, maybe build quality, for it to fail this quickly. Others haven’t failed, so this one’s a bad egg. I’m sure they’ll cave in After a few pushbacks.

I would put it to them that it's clearly inherent and if they still insist on proof I would point out how the manufacturer gives a two year warranty in the EU and the cost of the item would suggest it isn't a disposable purchase.

If they refuse, I would tell them I would arrange my own repair and present them with the invoice. If they refuse to pay that then small claims court time.

I would also threaten them when trading standards as they said point blank they would do nothing as it was after 12 months, even though they have a statutory duty so if the fault is inherent.

i had this issue with a one x from microsoft a few year ago , was about 16 month after purchase so similar timeframe

Like you I contacted microsoft and they fobbed me off , I opened a resolver case against them and they straight away offered me a free repair and sent me shipping labels to post it off . Took about a week from opening the resolver case to getting it back fixed.

Back