Xbox says Nintendo and Sony no longer main rivals

Sony won't be able to compete when it comes to cloud though. That is where the market is headed.

Last edited:
Sony will destroy Microsoft even more thoroughly next generation if Microsoft think the Cloud is the be all end all.

Broadband speeds in the UK are still total shit. I'm not too far out of Newcastle and the fastest speeds available aren't even close to being able to take advantage.

Interesting. I’ve had the Xbox since the original launched, however I’m not going to stick with them if they insist on a cloud based practice.

By time infrastructure is in place there will be a better method than cloud.

Everyone refers to cloud being the end goal for everything these days.

Gaming companies can't guarantee data routes and prevent bottlenecks. If cloud gaming takes off and graphics keep improving ISPs won't be able to keep up.

Cloud gaming is hinged on far too many variables and I don't see it ever succeeding.

Sony will destroy Microsoft even more thoroughly next generation if Microsoft think the Cloud is the be all end all.

Broadband speeds in the UK are still total shit. I'm not too far out of Newcastle and the fastest speeds available aren't even close to being able to take advantage.

I think the Xbox One has been a let down. It's more disappointing that they don't have a vr option. Have they changed their minds and confirmed if they're introducing one for their new console? If not, loads will move over to Sony imo.

Sony won't be able to compete when it comes to cloud though. That is where the market is headed.
Especially when you look at this report and it tells you that Sony intend to use the Azure platform for it's cloud gaming platform.
I don't know. It might be where the industry wants gaming to go, but most players resist it. IMHO. If gaming goes fully cloud, I know I'm done. I'm not paying full whack to effectively rent games and have them pulled or dropped at the developer's whim.
That is not what happens though. If you purchase the game it's yours. The only difference is whether or not you have a disc. Sure things like Xbox Game Pass will rotate their library, no different to Netflix, but if you own something you own it and that will always be the case.
I think the Xbox One has been a let down. It's more disappointing that they don't have a vr option. Have they changed their minds and confirmed if they're introducing one for their new console? If not, loads will move over to Sony imo.
Is VR gaming really there yet? Still looks very niche to me right now and until major titles come out on VR I don't see anything changing.

Last edited:
That is not what happens though. If you purchase the game it's yours. The only difference is whether or not you have a disc. Sure things like Xbox Game Pass will rotate their library, no different to Netflix, but if you own something you own it and that will always be the case.
It's exactly what is happening. I've lost access to a couple of games already, one through Playstation Mobile which Sony canned on the Vita and one where the publisher pulled the game. I wouldn't say I owned either of them in hindsight, especially when you consider a broken console or removing a game to make space can mean you no lo get have access to a product you have parted with cash for. I've been burned twice, and I don't intend to be burned again. Think I've lost about £40 worth of software through games that have had their availability removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Especially when you look at this report and it tells you that Sony intend to use the Azure platform for it's cloud gaming platform.

Is VR gaming really there yet? Still looks very niche to me right now and until major titles come out on VR I don't see anything changing.

It's still very much a novelty, but a novelty I'd rather have the option to have. If Sony are offering it as an option, why aren't Xbox? That said, the better option is probably getting an Oculus.

They're on different business plans. Microsoft wants to offer a 'Netflix for games', and Sony wants to sell hardware and exclusives.

Sony has Cloud infrastructure. They have PlayStation Now which works well in countries with good internet speeds. They also agreed a deal to use Microsofts Azure Cloud technology and bought another streaming service back in 2014.

Cloud gaming is a way off though, the infrastructure just isn't there.

Last edited:

There’s a few big titled games on the VR

Depends what happens with 5g. It might get you 10 gigabits per second.

5g and WiFi will never sustain cloud gaming it isn't reliable enough

Only it will, it is just going to be more expensive to get a reliable connection. I am not sure what speeds are looking like back home but right now I have a 1gb in house fiber connection that provides unbelievable speed. Had it for 2 years now but it seems cable companies aren't pushing traditional land based speeds anymore and going for the 5G and beyond.

I
Only it will, it is just going to be more expensive to get a reliable connection. I am not sure what speeds are looking like back home but right now I have a 1gb in house fiber connection that provides unbelievable speed. Had it for 2 years now but it seems cable companies aren't pushing traditional land based speeds anymore and going for the 5G and beyond.

It won't. Frequency networks will never be reliable

My apartment just over the river and down the road from Newcastle has top speeds of broadband of about 32mb/s. Nobody can offer quicker. Companies often say they can but once they look at the infrastructure in the area they realise they can't.

Back