Wyke Yesterday

Hung out to dry by the club last season. Clearly was nowhere near fit and it made him very unpopular with the supporters. All credit to the lad for coming back and proving there's a bit more to his game than we first thought. He's still being compromised by Ross to a degree as his work yesterday could have been so much more productive with more support. Jackett is doing exactly the same with Marquis.

Maybe Charlie should have a word in Grigg's shell-like and explain what the minimum requirements are up here in the North East.

Worked hard and did well but he’s not a threat. Just a workhorse that we can ride in games like yesterday
Hung out to dry by the club last season. Clearly was nowhere near fit and it made him very unpopular with the supporters. All credit to the lad for coming back and proving there's a bit more to his game than we first thought. He's still being compromised by Ross to a degree as his work yesterday could have been so much more productive with more support. Jackett is doing exactly the same with Marquis.

Maybe Charlie should have a word in Grigg's shell-like and explain what the minimum requirements are up here in the North East.

Haway mate his finishing last season was awful. That Burton game for example. He sidefoots everything but barely works the keeper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Worked hard and did well but he’s not a threat. Just a workhorse that we can ride in games like yesterday

Haway mate his finishing last season was awful. That Burton game for example. He sidefoots everything but barely works the keeper.

He was awful but he started from a point whereby he was unfit and every mistake was criticised. He's not a natural finisher anyway but he could still be a pivotal figure in our season if played correctly.

Wyke was constantly getting it in the back off their CB - but, Charlie ALWAYS goes in with his elbows high on the opposition CB, usually around their throats - the ref spotted this in his game, and he got penalised for it a few times yesterday.

Yet got same rating as Grigg 6 / 10 in the Sunday Sun lol
If the Sunday Sun ever becomes a newspaper for our Tyne and Wear (How I hate that name) area then we can read it with interest. Sadly it is staffed with Mags and other buffoons.

Last edited by a moderator:
All different players. Grigg is a 10 yard poacher. Wyke is an outball and target man. McNulty plays on the shoulder and closes players down.

I hate all the Grigg bashing. Once we hit our stride he will bang them in.
One of the best 10 yard poachers of all time (Ian Rush) used to tirelessly close down defenders in the opposition half. Unforgivable that Grigg can't or won't do it. Even more so ....given that he contributes very little else.

Doesnt explain why he doesnt put the effort in to work tackle close down etc. He cannot just sit on his arse in the box and do nowt.

This ^

I know he's there to hold the ball up but a couple of times yesterday he won it well and held back when he could have driven forward with the ball.

He doesn't seem particularly aware of what's going on around him or capable of good decision making. I get the impression he's been told to win it and look to lay it off so that's what he'll do no matter the situation.

I'm one of his biggest critics and I hope he proves me wrong but I just can't see it. His goal on Tuesday was taken really well...that's about as much as I can say in his favor.
All different players. Grigg is a 10 yard poacher. Wyke is an outball and target man. McNulty plays on the shoulder and closes players down.

We're seemingly refusing to play to his strengths. We take an age to get up the field (unless we're lashing it 40 ft over his head) so he can't play on the shoulder and we don't get crosses in regularly or with precision.

Last edited:

He’s going to be third choice striker ... going to have fewer chances to bang them in

Can Grigg run at all or even put in a hard tackle? Ok loose confidence, but no excuse not to get stuck in ffs. He seems too be a wimp. Yesterday, came on and strolled around.

He's a centre forward man, not Kevin Ball. Thats not the lads game and it never has been.

Don't know what the fuck he was doing thinking he was Messi in our own half which led to that chance Maquis spooned wide. We were lucky to get away with that. All he needed to do was pass it off.
True, but he was great otherwise. He gave them some new problems to think about and that helped to get us home.

Grigg isn't even a 20 yard poacher

One of the laziest players I've ever seen in a Sunderland shirt

I actually detest him

I think he'll end up leaving SAFC as a cult hero on the basis that he isn't Will Grigg.

Every time he comes on he's going to put Grigg to shame and eventually that'll garner a large percentage of support who'll use Wyke's effort to have a pop at Grigg.

If McNulty is injured I'd play him over Grigg but when McNulty is fit it's a case of what Ross prefers. A striker that works and puts himself about and rarely looks like scoring, or a striker that works hard, is tenacious and looks more likely to score.

Or a bloke who has no interest in any of the above.

Or both

Completely agree, Grigg has scored goals everywhere else, he doesn't do much more, he never has if you ask a Wigan fan, he is a poacher, simple as, so expecting him to play like lineker or rush (showing my age) is nonsensical. It's the abject lack of creating chances that's the problem.

Back