Wyke Yesterday

Don't know what the fuck he was doing thinking he was Messi in our own half which led to that chance Maquis spooned wide. We were lucky to get away with that. All he needed to do was pass it off.

He's everything that Grigg isn't. Strong, an outball, hardworking, a nuisance, even a goal threat at times. He's probably not even fully fit yet, and he's pretty slow in general, but he still somehow looks more mobile than Grigg. I don't know what is the matter with Grigg, he looks really lethargic and slow.
Grigg needs to look at Wykes performance yesterday and learn. Alright they are different types of players but if you put effort in you more than often get results.

Grigg came on with a few minutes to go and put 0 effort in. Sunderland fans will forgive a lot if they see genuine effort and he is not putting it in.

There was an incident when their centre half came forward with the ball and Grigg did nothing to track him down. Given that Grigg had been on the pitch a for a couple of minutes thats inexcusable.

He did really well. My heart sank when McNulty went off as he was quality but Chas was excellent.
Grigg needs to look at Wykes performance yesterday and learn. Alright they are different types of players but if you put effort in you more than often get results.

Grigg came on with a few minutes to go and put 0 effort in. Sunderland fans will forgive a lot if they see genuine effort and he is not putting it in.

There was an incident when their centre half came forward with the ball and Grigg did nothing to track him down. Given that Grigg had been on the pitch a for a couple of minutes thats inexcusable.

Spot on. Grigg didn't sprint once

I thought he was excellent to be honest, looked like the player I expected he would be when we signed him. Their big centre back had an easy ride in the first half and had it all his own way winning easy long balls but Wyke changed that and bullied him, great to see because for so long we seem to have been on the receiving end of players bullying ours.

Mcnulty looked better as a number 10 than as an out and out striker. Much better movement, so would love it to be 3 from 4 behind Wyke (from McGeady, McNulty, Maguire and Gooch - who for me has been motm in all 3 games so far) - play a bit more horses for courses selection type, depending on who we are playing

Can Grigg run at all or even put in a hard tackle? Ok loose confidence, but no excuse not to get stuck in ffs. He seems too be a wimp. Yesterday, came on and strolled around.
One opportunity he had to really close down the defender in north west corner ..he just didn't bother ...no excuse for that at all...Hume has had a rough time but came on gave us legs and looked desperate to do well....

Gives us something else - he is a giant in a team of midgets and gives us that outlet to at least hold the ball up and give the defence / midfield time to push up and have a breather.

Him up top with McGeady one side and McNulty on the other would be one of the strongest attacks in the league.

Last edited:

Back