Wyke will not repeat the form of last season.

Two years ago we were told he'd be pretty much useless without crosses and it turned out to be accurate.

This season Parkinsons obsession with crosses seemed to improve Wyke's output earlier on, though the overall return from the ridiculous amount of crosses (often poor) for the whole team was poor.

With McGeady in the team and better delivery all-round Wyke showed enough to suggest (and he also showed this on occasions before and we also discussed it) that if you get high or low crosses in and around the penalty area he manages to get on the end of them and score goals. If you leave him isolated as a lone target man and try to play off him, then he wont do very well.

That doesn't make him fantastic and hes lacking i other areas, but I reckon at this level, like any good but not exceptional striker for the level, he will score regular goals and coming into his prime would be a 15 to 20 man with half decent service. Not ideal, but having seen most the strikers at this level there isn't anyone stand out.

He's limited but as long as he goes somewhere he can play high up the pitch and gets plenty of balls across him you'd fancy him to score.

Does limit how you can play but at Celtic you'd think he'd be an option rather than the only option.

Exactly this. I think its a semi limited option, but in league one its not a strength to be sniffed at and I think people would do well to appreciate that.

I think he'd be a flop in the Championship or at Celtic, but I wouldn't blame him for trying to make a few quid out of a move.

If we’d had one other player who’d got 10 this season then we’d have probably been up.
We’ve got remember who was in charge of the club in the last summer transfer window when it was clear we needed more strike power. I can’t remember the last time we had three fit, good to average strikers at the start of the season, always been our problem amongst many others.

Going to celtic pretty much like mclaughlin going to the gers where he had 11 games last season.
Take the money and warm the bench Wykesy,good luck a good move for you.

none of this actually happened. unless SAFC played some secret games that i wasnt able to watch. i watched just about every minute of our season, and those things you have said simply never happened. a total myth, regurgitated on here till it starts becoming truth

he'd get a goal in a game, do fuck all for the rest of the game, literally absolutely nothing, but get lavished with praise like 'he creates space for others, he puts his body on the line, he gives defenders a hard time all game, he grafts his plumbs off etc. etc.. '' all generic cliched bollocks that never actaully happened.

his speciality is from a long ball from the back, up towards him, and feints to gamble on it, ducking behind the defender as if he thinks the defender is going to miss the header, but every single time the defender simply won the header without even a challenge. absolutely pathetic and he did it endless amounts of times during the season

You're obviously not a Charlie Wyke fan mate!

You don't score 26 goals in the league without being able to find space in and around the box to put yourself into those positions 26 times (should have been 52 if he'd taken all his chances mind). A few of those were headed goals as well. The hold up play, I was perhaps stretching it. That said, I did compare him to a drunk chasing a balloon to give a bit of balance.

I'm guessing you are happy for him to move on? :cool:

His movement in the box was much improved last season. In the SPL he’d likely score shitloads against everyone bar the top three but draw blanks and look shite against them.

I think he'll do very well up there for a club like Celtic, the same rule that applied for us will apply for them, they will need to put them on a plate for him but he will bang them in better than most. If he stays fit and is a main starter he gets 20+.

It will be best for all parties (maybe not Celtic like) if he fucks off. We're way too one dimensional with him in the side. We need a striker who can take a ball to feet and turn and run at defenders.
Wyke is dogshit, but mum's the word until he signs on Celtic's dotted line. The thought of Chaz in the Champions League is just ridiculous.

We’ve got remember who was in charge of the club in the last summer transfer window when it was clear we needed more strike power. I can’t remember the last time we had three fit, good to average strikers at the start of the season, always been our problem amongst many others.
wasnt really a striker issue (i mean we needed another one) because johnson plays one up front..what has been missing for years is a competent number 10

We need a mobile striker who can split CB's and stretch them.

Wyke, for all the goals he scored this season, really limits us IMO.

Overall I think we'd be a better team with a much more mobile striker.

He would be a laughable signing for Celtic and would last two minutes there.

If he's going to be Celtics main striker though i'd expect him to get at least 20 in that team against their opposition. Most strikers should back themselves to score goals in the SPL for celtic.
This is why I am disappointed when I hear about us being interested in Scottish players, especially goalscorers, there is no comparison. As for Wyke, I hope his goals can be replaced Because there are not a lot of others putting them away. These 3 and 4 goal merchants are not going to do much, they won’t change overnight. Wyke has been sussed so I doubt he would get as many.
Nobody knows if he can do it again next season. I have my doubts but he does have the potential and at times this year I thought he looked sharp. Other times he looked lost and was so easy to mark out the game.
If he goes to Celtic or whoever it is then I wish him all the the best and I can’t fault him for wanting the best for himself and his family.
More importantly for me is that I can’t blame the club either. He had a great season and yes he scored 30 goals but we have a structure in place and a budget we are told we want to operate in, plus we replaced Wyke in the January transfer window with Stewart who I think will be a better player.
Can anyone tell me what thar structure is other than bringing in kids and cheapies for a poor manager to oversee?

Last edited:
This is why I am disappointed when I hear about us being interested in Scottish players, especially goalscorers, there is no comparison. As for Wyke, I hope his goals can be replaced Because there are not a lot of others putting them away. These 3 and 4 goal merchants are not going to do much, they won’t change overnight. Wyke has been sussed so I doubt he would get as many.

Can anyone tell me what thar structure is other than bringing in kids and cheapies for a poor manager to oversee?
we dont employ a manager...and you have no evidence weare signing anyone cheap.

we dont employ a manager...and you have no evidence weare signing anyone cheap.
True, but the coach has not proven himself and was less than impressive last season. We are not given much encouragement from the little we do hear, I hope I’m wrong in that assumption, but after 63 years watching, I know the signs, a bit jaded you might say.
Regretfully also missed from six yards with no keeper in the net!
It is fair to say that all strikers do that from time to timr, thet need plenty of chances to put some away.

Last edited:

Back