Wrestling - Part 3

It genuinely was mind the main events were stacked but the mid card was pish
I've been listening to the Retro Raw and Nitro from 19 years ago this week podcasts that Bryan Alvarez + co. do and they really showcase how the majority of matches were bollocks. For being "a golden era" of wrestling, all matches virtually ended in DQs or didn't have finishes at all, people were getting concussions as a result of being hit in the head constantly and a lot of storylines didn't really make any sense at all.

I've been listening to the Retro Raw and Nitro from 19 years ago this week podcasts that Bryan Alvarez + co. do and they really showcase how the majority of matches were bollocks. For being "a golden era" of wrestling, all matches virtually ended in DQs or didn't have finishes at all, people were getting concussions as a result of being hit in the head constantly and a lot of storylines didn't really make any sense at all.

It genuinely was mind the main events were stacked but the mid card was pish

Raw back then was absolute car crash tv at it's very finest.

Full of absolute nonsense and little to no actual wrestling but it was f***ing brilliant watching.

But the PPVs more than made up for it on that front with some cracking matches throughout the whole card, and more importantly people cared about them because of the work on tv.

Admittedly 99 got a bit out of hand like, but you can't say it's just because they were over when that's the biggest challenge.

I notice people like that Blampied fella pick holes in the era all the time while scratching around for even the smallest positives in today's product, embarrassing really.

Last edited:
RAW mid card was so random it was good, it went from the APA to Crash Holly getting chased about a Kids Soft play by the Mean Street Posse, different shit every week. It was the most randomest illogical shit you'll ever find, but it was entertaining.

Nowadays RAW's mid card consists of Curt Hawkins every week, I'll leave it there.

Raw back then was absolute car crash tv at it's very finest.

Full of absolute nonsense and little to no actual wrestling but it was f***ing brilliant watching.

I'm not doubting that. But if we are talking about quality, athletic wrestling, it was virtually non-existent. Watch any episode of RAW from 97-2000 and most the lower-mid card stuff was pretty poor, both storyline and in-ring wise. That's not me being uber critical, you just have to see it for yourself. As you say though much of it was car-crash and ridiculous, everyone was over and the crowds were hot, so that helped improve the image of some of it.

Anyone going to the Empire Pro show tonight at The Point? Only £8 and has the likes of Nathan Cruz, James Drake and Joseph Connors on it.

Oh right. I'm not a massive fan of Atlanta, hopefully they have all the stuff close together there (stadium, arena, convention centre etc). I guess they probably do, the stadium is certainly downtown..........I was in Orlando this year and it was great, but fancied N'Orleans, so my friend is up for it too fortunately. He's not a massive fan, just wants to tick the box of going and boozing in New Orleans is appealing. Everything being near is very appealing too, a lot of American cities are all spread out.

I think it would probably be ok on your own. I ended up talking to a lot of British and Irish people when I was there, I ended up going the RPW show with two Irish lads I ended up talking to in a pub, I went in late afternoon for a swifty when the people I was with fucked off to get ready for the HoF. So I could definitely see translating that talking to people in to people to go for a drink with. In fact I talked to a few people who were on their own, especially in the "tailgating" before Mania it's self.
I was planning on next WM but new Orleans is a f***ing dump and that put me off.

I'm not doubting that. But if we are talking about quality, athletic wrestling, it was virtually non-existent. Watch any episode of RAW from 97-2000 and most the lower-mid card stuff was pretty poor, both storyline and in-ring wise. That's not me being uber critical, you just have to see it for yourself. As you say though much of it was car-crash and ridiculous, everyone was over and the crowds were hot, so that helped improve the image of some of it.
You're an idiot. An absolute f***ing idiot. I mean you really have just said that quality, athletic wrestling was non existent back then ...:D:D:D:D
Listen, Monday Nitro was light years ahead of the game from 96 ish through to early 99. The cruiserweight division alone was dripping with talent from top to bottom...and the calibre of matches in the midcard was unreal, with the likes of Malenko, Vampiro, Psychosis, Chris f***ing Kanyon, Eddie, Booker, Jericho, Benoit, Perry Saturn, Kidman, Rey etc....
As for Raw, it was must see TV, simple as that. Vince was in full blown scattergun mode just throwing everything on TV to see what stuck and sank. You never knew what was gonna happen and that's what made it work. Of course some it sank and rightly so but to suggest that whole era was overrated is just pathetic really. Wrestling was genuinely mainstream back then and something you could easily share with your mates....unlike todays sorry excuse of a show.

Ditch the third hour Vince you insane old cun.t!!

Last edited:
I was planning on next WM but new Orleans is a f***ing dump and that put me off.
I haven't been,but have heard mixed things. People have said to me that it stinks and there are certainly parts of it that are rough as fuck.

I reckon it should be a decent night out though isn't it? As i said,the fact that everything is walkable is a big factor for me. Last time RoH was miles away,but this time it's like a 15 minute taxi from where I'm staying.

As opposed to today where every match is a kick out fest and storylines barely make it past a fortnight.

You’re relentless. Just accept people don’t agree with you.
Just tell me one thing that John Cena does in the ring that qualifies him as a great.

Just one.

Last edited:
Not expecting much at HIAC tonight, think KO/Shane will be a classic but the rest pretty dull, the SD side of PPV's has been very uneventful since Summerslam.

I also hate it when they name PPV's after a match stipulation but half the matches aren't even using said stipulation.

US title match changed to a triple threat as of 10 minutes ago. Tye Dillinger also in the match, that's him getting pinned then.

Last edited:
Not expecting much at HIAC tonight, think KO/Shane will be a classic but the rest pretty dull, the SD side of PPV's has been very uneventful since Summerslam.

I also hate it when they name PPV's after a match stipulation but half the matches aren't even using said stipulation.

US title match changed to a triple threat as of 10 minutes ago. Tye Dillinger also in the match, that's him getting pinned then.
The New Day/Usos match should be excellent.

Back