Would you rather your child...

Fair enough - we all have opinions. Take it from me though, the ability to open up and not be vilified or be made to feel less of a man is a life saver.
I wouldn't judge anyone and have been there for mates who have been through stuff. Divorce, kids causing hassle etc. I dont think I would be too good at helping someone with depression because I have no compass to measure it by.

I wouldn't judge anyone and have been there for mates who have been through stuff. Divorce, kids causing hassle etc. I dont think I would be too good at helping someone with depression because I have no compass to measure it by.

Honestly - you don't need a compass. Just an ear is often more than enough.

With respect, that's nonsense. That has been what is expected of men since time began, and we're now in an era where suicide is one of the biggest killers of men because they do no feel able to open up. There is still a taboo around this that says that males need to "man up" and not have feelings. Many mental health problems stem back to being at school and being bullied or abused in some way. They bottle it up and then all of a sudden things become too much. Sharing feelings and crying is facing up to challenges and dealing with them. I doesn't make them less of a man.

The term "man up" should be parked up alongside racist slurs because of the damage that it can do.

Very good post that imo and well done for posting it!

I was out for a beer a few months back and a lad came over and apologised for bullying me when I was about 10/11. It was the first time I'd seen him in 40 odd years.

Back