Would people have taken 4 points out of 6?

Excellent start to the season. Look forward to some of the young players getting into the team bringing about the right blend of youth and experience. We’re more equipped for league 1 this season. Maybe need an injection of pace but other than that I think we are well set for a good season
What’s a youth player?
We've 4 points from 6 the window isn't shut so we can still strengthen. It's far from the time to panic or become a doom merchant..

It's a decent star to the season. Not spectacular but it doesn't need to be. We just take it a game at a time and most importantly not worry about what teams around us are doing
You reckon we’ll sign some quality players?

I probably would have..but at the same time no confidence we’ll get promoted. Burge not convincing me as a no.1 and 9 teams out of 10 then get automatic have a 20 goal a season striker..we don’t. So conflicting feelings.
On the flip side we seem to have a very strong defence and haven't conceded many chances to the opposition so far Willis and Wright are head and shoulders above any other centre backs in this league

I think we will be top 4 this season hopefully top 2

That's it like, the only thing missing and has been for the past 2 season is a striker that gets goals. Wether that's the players themselves or the system we play is up for debate. I think looking at Grigg and Wykes recond at other clubs it suggests it's the system that's to blame.
It's as if the CF is only there to hold up the ball and win free kicks. It might be effective but it ain't pretty and it makes a nonsense of us having 3 No.9s at the club

What’s a youth player?

You reckon we’ll sign some quality players?

You have to look at this from Donald's point of view. COVID isn't going away the chances of anyone buying the club in league one is probably fading with every week that fans can't get back in the stadium.

Does he hold firm with the current squad and hope someone buys us? Or does he spend some money to get two or three quality signings before the window shuts to try and guarantee promotion with a view of being able to sell us in twelve months a league higher with fans hopefully in the stadium again

Burge looks dodgy as fuck but the defence is very good. Worry about any of our strikers wcoring regular but maguire and gooch will chip in with a good amount

Got to say, O’Brien doesn’t float my boat and all this stuff about it being Griggs year is shite and he’ll end up being one of our worst signings ever. Excellent goal by Gooch like, need more of that. If him and Maguire don’t do it, no one else will.
O’Brien has looked poor. Gooch should replace him next game.

You have to look at this from Donald's point of view. COVID isn't going away the chances of anyone buying the club in league one is probably fading with every week that fans can't get back in the stadium.

Does he hold firm with the current squad and hope someone buys us? Or does he spend some money to get two or three quality signings before the window shuts to try and guarantee promotion with a view of being able to sell us in twelve months a league higher with fans hopefully in the stadium again
Donald won’t spend money. Had his fingers burnt with Grigg and since then we’ve bought Dobson for money and he is dreadful. You could make a good case players at a similar age that were already at the club (Robson) are superior to him.

It's as if the CF is only there to hold up the ball and win free kicks. It might be effective but it ain't pretty and it makes a nonsense of us having 3 No.9s at the club
Yeah, like just a massive lump to drag the CBs around and create gaps for the likes of Gooch and Maguire. I think Parky is hoping they will get on the end of a few crosses or corners as well as holding play but at the minute the service isnt quite there.

Looking at our first four fixtures before the season I would have settled for 8 or 9 points. Would have expected these first two results to be the other way round and still not sure if the second half today was us being good or Oxford being shit, or both.

I probably would have..but at the same time no confidence we’ll get promoted. Burge not convincing me as a no.1 and 9 teams out of 10 then get automatic have a 20 goal a season striker..we don’t. So conflicting feelings.
2019/20 - Coventry and Rotheram top scorers both had 14
2018/19 - Luton 25, Barnsley 17
2017/18 - Blackburn 19, Wigan 18 (our very own Will Grigg)
2016/17 - Sheffield utd 30, Bolton 9
2015/16 - Wigan 25 (Grigg again), Burton 12
2014/15 - Bristol City 15, MK Dons 20 (Grigg again)
2013/14 - Wolves 18, Brentford 17
2012/13 - Doncaster 13, Bournemouth 19

So over the last 8 seasons 4 automatically promoted clubs have had a 20 goal striker or 25%, far from 9 out of 10

We have gone all in on an experienced, expensive league one side getting us promotion. On that basis 2 ppg is the minimum expectation for me. I think it will be enough to get automatic promotion this season.

Back