would like some advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

El Hadji The Radji

before last March I found myself and at 46 to reasonably fit, little overweight but would play football once a week, and would run/jog three to four times a week for anywhere between 3 and 6 miles at a push and was very comfortable with this.

i would swim and walk, and also a little bike riding - i felt good.

problem came at the end of March when i was playing football and I snapped my cruciate ligament in my left knee - ouch!

not good! but after plenty of physio and exercise the knee is good (not repaired) it feels as normal as the other knee, noty had any problems (touch wood)

question's I have is this

1. i want to lose weight and am dieting and helping others to do the same? is this a good start
2. i would like to start running again, but where and how should I start - what distance and for how long should I run

what and where can I do to prepare

any help?

In answer to 2. A little treadmill work would be better than road running as its slightly easier on the legs. Just start off slow and see how it feels. Don't increase distances quickly, slow and steady wins this race.

before last March I found myself and at 46 to reasonably fit, little overweight but would play football once a week, and would run/jog three to four times a week for anywhere between 3 and 6 miles at a push and was very comfortable with this.

i would swim and walk, and also a little bike riding - i felt good.

problem came at the end of March when i was playing football and I snapped my cruciate ligament in my left knee - ouch!

not good! but after plenty of physio and exercise the knee is good (not repaired) it feels as normal as the other knee, noty had any problems (touch wood)

question's I have is this

1. i want to lose weight and am dieting and helping others to do the same? is this a good start
2. i would like to start running again, but where and how should I start - what distance and for how long should I run

what and where can I do to prepare

any help?

Sorting out your diet is definitely a good place to start. There's loads of threads on it but Titus's one about calculating your calorie needs is the best one.

funny enough I have a treadmill and used it often, its just i prefered to be outdoors

is say 30 minutes adviseable or as you say, just a little and see what happens

should i put a knee brace on?

funny enough I have a treadmill and used it often, its just i prefered to be outdoors

is say 30 minutes adviseable or as you say, just a little and see what happens

should i put a knee brace on?
I would go without the knee brace, but you need to be extra careful with your cruciate. I wouldt just "run until it hurts" I'd probably do a 2/3km slow jog and call it a day. Do that a few times a week until you know you can do more without it causing pain, then you can probably try a little more.

Dieting is always a good start. The saying is true for anyone irrespective of their goals. Bodybuilders dedicate so much time to their diet because thats where the battle is won or lost.

Eat healthy, regular mild exercise and see how it goes.

My advice would be not to run yet. To much pressure going through the knee joint. Your quadricep will have suffered atrophy and be quite weak. Either get back into swimming or cycling. That will help build up your quad and strengthen your cruciate. Then start running.

Good idea to look at your diet. Lack of inactivity will obviously cause weight gain. Also, good idea not to where a knee brace.

My advice would be not to run yet. To much pressure going through the knee joint. Your quadricep will have suffered atrophy and be quite weak. Either get back into swimming or cycling. That will help build up your quad and strengthen your cruciate. Then start running.

Good idea to look at your diet. Lack of inactivity will obviously cause weight gain. Also, good idea not to where a knee brace.

Great idea.

i am about to walk at a steady pace on my treadmill for about 20 minutes, will do this twice a day

i am not taking any supplements, I have wheat grass once a day and take omega vitamens from MYPROTEIN but diet is key

i am overweight and I feel really bad about, but I am motivated and focussed.

I will let you know how my knee performs and if I have or endure any pain or problems, hopefully not

i am about to walk at a steady pace on my treadmill for about 20 minutes, will do this twice a day

i am not taking any supplements, I have wheat grass once a day and take omega vitamens from MYPROTEIN but diet is key

i am overweight and I feel really bad about, but I am motivated and focussed.

I will let you know how my knee performs and if I have or endure any pain or problems, hopefully not
If your on a downer and dedicated you could consider doing some weights.... Nothing like seeing your body change to boost your spirits

Am gunna bike ride fthis morning - probably a few miles

Am gunna bike ride fthis morning - probably a few miles
Good lad, easy linear action and should strengthen and cause no stress to yer knee..confidence is what you need.

Weights.. particularly knee extensions (to full extension) Strengthen yer Quad inserter.

I remember me dad sitting on the kitchen worktop with bags of sugar doing this! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back