Worst thing to ever happen to football is

Players going from earning slightly more than the average working man per annum to players earning considerably more than the annual salary of a working man per week.
It's even more sickening that now even 'average' players get more in a single year than the average person will get in a lifetime of working!

I've mentioned this before and here's one example that is why I just didn't feel the same about football as I did years ago. If Rodwell was on £70k a week here then that's £3.6m a year. Someone working a decent paid job of £35k from age 16 to 67 (51 years) would earn £1.8m so half of Rodwell.

So basically someone on £35k a year would have to work over 100 years to get the same wage that fucker got for just 1 season here, never mind the other seasons he was here! Also remember that players wages also don't include all the 'extras' in various ways that players also benefit finacially and materially!

Now try and let that sink in, someone working 100 f***ing years at a huge £35k salary for 1 year of Rodwell! Many more years if you look at most peoples salaries up here! :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Completely agree about Sky moving games, it ridiculous. It doesn't matter to the 'big clubs' though, as they have 'fans' all over country who will jump at the chance to go to a game.

An issue I have (and this isn't aimed you, I just don't want to make two separate posts and you mentioned it a bit) is with the perception that foreign players are to blame

'Foreigners' aren't a mysterious entity, you know. Talk about ruining the game? Do you think Raheem Sterling, or Harry Kane would have achieved the levels they have done under the management of Sam Allardayce, or Sean Dyche? What about Jadon Sancho? Widely regarded as the best prospect since Rooney and he's surrounded by the blighters.

The problem is with the mismanagement of the money that has come in. People at the FA lining their pockets, promoting the EPL 'brand' (while selling any and everything else) not the amateur/grassroots game. It's all a trickle down effect.

Foreign players are good for the national team as, in theory, it allows players to see different skill sets and priorities on a day to day basis, hopefully, giving them a more rounded understanding and appreciation of the game.

Or are you going to say that football was better during the war when players had to eat bricks and kick a cow's uterus around a demolished churchyard in the dark, so they could share a 16th of an orange just because they were all white?

For top class, world class players, foreigners can be beneficial. Aguero, Ronaldo, Cantona, Sala etc are all outstanding players.

But £300k per week ffs, £400k? The money is mad.

The point of my post was the mediocre foreign players that are holding back the growth and development of home grown hopefuls.

As for colour of their skin, I don't care what colour they are. Gary Bennett, Danny Rose and many others gave their best for my team and I have shaken Gary Bennett's hand and more rhan happy to buy him a pint. On the other hand N'Dong and Papy are wankers of the highest order who epitomise the worst of the Premier League. Same as Jack Rodwell.

The Salaries are high because people like you and me buy the tickets and subscribe to sky and watch the adverts. I don't understand what you would want different there. They are worth that much money to their employers - and in theory bring in even more than that much money. Should sky or the Arab sheikhs just keep the cash these players are generating by their hard work?

The BIG problems with football are 1) message boards wanting to sack managers after every loss 2) Pre contracts for M'Villa that get torn up by dour Scots, 3) Thinking you're a shrewd businessman selling Maja for 1.5 mil.

The constant diving/simulation, in today's game, is sickening.
Players falling theatrically to the turf, after barely brushing against an opponent, in order to win free kicks and penalties.
Aye, I know it went on, many years ago - Franny Lee, was a master of the dark arts, back in the 70's, but it's crept into kids and women's football too.
The American women's team, win at all costs, attitude, at this years World Cup, was an example of how far some players will go, to gain any advantage, on the pitch.

Tv/radio football pundits, who keep insisting, a player has "every right to go down" (as if shot by a whole platoon of snipers), at the merest hint of contact, within an opponents penalty area. :evil:

It’s the offside one that boils my piss. A boot lace width and it’s ruled offside. It should favour the attacker. Needs to change so for example its done on a percentage of the body. Over a small percentage it’s offside. That Krul penalty today was another daft one. Yeah he went on like a tosser but he wasn’t massively off his line. Goalies need to dive and they will generally come off the line a little when they do. It ll get to the point they have to stand in the goal to compensate.
Aye that would clear things up like. Jesus.

Players going from earning slightly more than the average working man per annum to players earning considerably more than the annual salary of a working man per week.
So who should get the money generated? The billionaire owners?
It's even more sickening that now even 'average' players get more in a single year than the average person will get in a lifetime of working!

I've mentioned this before and here's one example that is why I just didn't feel the same about football as I did years ago. If Rodwell was on £70k a week here then that's £3.6m a year. Someone working a decent paid job of £35k from age 16 to 67 (51 years) would earn £1.8m so half of Rodwell.

So basically someone on £35k a year would have to work over 100 years to get the same wage that fucker got for just 1 season here, never mind the other seasons he was here! Also remember that players wages also don't include all the 'extras' in various ways that players also benefit finacially and materially!

Now try and let that sink in, someone working 100 f***ing years at a huge £35k salary for 1 year of Rodwell! Many more years if you look at most peoples salaries up here! :confused:
There you have the reasons for me going from being a 20-30 games a season to a half a dozen appearances.

Last edited:
Everybody in the top two divisions being millionaires, including the groundsman.

I wish... So much essential staff involved with the day to day training/running of academy are on less per year than most decent players are earning in a week!

It’s the offside one that boils my piss. A boot lace width and it’s ruled offside. It should favour the attacker. Needs to change so for example its done on a percentage of the body. Over a small percentage it’s offside. That Krul penalty today was another daft one. Yeah he went on like a tosser but he wasn’t massively off his line. Goalies need to dive and they will generally come off the line a little when they do. It ll get to the point they have to stand in the goal to compensate.

Offside just needs simplifying - base it on a player's feet and if you're off then you're off (no 'interfering with play' shit).

Just flip it.. instead of being offside if ANY part of you is past the last man, make it that ALL of you has to be.. and blow the f***ing whistle when the pass is made, not 6 days later .. fixed.

Mr Smith's letter and our response to it.

This from an SAFC perspective, alongside WWII which led to our last truly great side to disband.

For English football in general the invention of the Champions League. Once clubs thought it was more important to finish 4th than win the FA Cup that competition was devalued.

Similarly the money in the Prem that means is more important for clubs finish 4th bottom than win a cup.

Back