Worst team in our history

I don't really get the surprise with these sorts of threads.

Have people forgot about the fact we were in debt to the tune of tens of millions of pounds and there was real talk of administration being a possibility.

Of course we have a shit team, we are in league 1 and had to balance the books, which when you're in so much debt seems to be a fairly one way exercise in 'downscaling'

For us to not currently have our worst team ever would mean needing to spends money we simply don't have

Would you say that the person who buys their meat year after year from a butchers, despite that butcher only selling fly-infested rotten meat, is a fantastic customer or a foolish one?

We don't support Sunderland because we picked them, marra. We aren't customers.

It's because we were born here (mostly). It's part of our town, community and families.

If we got to pick a team based on quality or number of wins, we'd all just pick Liverpool, City, Utd., or Real Madrid or Barcelona. Easy game that.

No-one turning out to support their local club is a fool for that. All the more honour in being a true fan when your club has fallen on hard times and when the plastic fans have left to support Liverpool IMHO.

Last edited:
It should be the worst team in history as we are at the lowest point in our history. We got here by constantly sacking managers, can't see how sacking a manager after his first loss of the season is the logical solution to our problems.

It should be the worst team in history as we are at the lowest point in our history. We got here by constantly sacking managers, can't see how sacking a manager after his first loss of the season is the logical solution to our problems.
That’s what the clappers said about David Moyes.

May be the first loss of the season, but his win % in league 1 since the start of 2019 is not good enough. Ross is not adding any value whatsoever either in player recruitment or in making the best of the players he already has at his disposal and I do feel he needs to go.

May be the first loss of the season, but his win % in league 1 since the start of 2019 is not good enough. Ross is not adding any value whatsoever either in player recruitment or in making the best of the players he already has at his disposal and I do feel he needs to go.
I didn't say he's doing a good job, I said sacking managers too soon is how we ended up with shit managers. If we give him a fair chance then sack him his replacement will know they will be given a fair chance. We could have done it after last season as he had a clear objective which he failed, letting him stay on is giving him a second chance at it and if we don't give him a proper chance we look the fools. At a certain point you have to stick with the horse you've got.

I didn't say he's doing a good job, I said sacking managers too soon is how we ended up with shit managers. If we give him a fair chance then sack him his replacement will know they will be given a fair chance. We could have done it after last season as he had a clear objective which he failed, letting him stay on is giving him a second chance at it and if we don't give him a proper chance we look the fools. At a certain point you have to stick with the horse you've got.
You make a good point about that if we didn't sack him after the failure to get promoted last season, then logically we should give him a reasonable crack at a "second" chance". I guess it's deciding how long this second chance should be - some say first 10 games, others Christmas, others the end of this season. I've personally lost faith in him as I can't see any progress in playing style etc, but it's only my subjective opinion and everybody's will be different.

Our current team is better than the team that got relegated from the Championship the season before last. That spineless, gutless squad was a disgrace.
I doubt that the squads who relegated us from second tier football 2 years ago and in 86/87 would have come 5th last season.
Yep. That squad from 2 years ago would have been relegation fodder last season.

Last edited:

Back