Worst stadium in League One

Gillingham's away end is shocking.
I sort of like it, I've been twice now and both times the weather has been nice/good enough. This year though when we weren't allowed to attend it was absolutely f***ing chucking it down, so would have probably been a bit of a shit experience.

Fair enough it looks ridiculous but it feels sturdy enough and it's not that cramp. If they could somehow keep the top of stadiums open like that but also give some sort of weather proofing it'd be quality. Both times I've just walked up to the back (another nice thing being that it is sit where you want) and you can just stare out across the top of Gillingham and marvel at what a shit hole it is.

I remember at the Manor ground, our players making a sport of booting the ball over the stands and out into the road when we were a couple of goals to the good.
Manor Ground has a great memory for me in the 92 cup run. Thousands of us, cracking game and atmosphere.
My favourite to this day is Craven Cottage. All seater but kept its character. Even to the extent of the left luggage lass as I was usually on a weekender and had to leave a case with het (for a £1!). Mixed sections, no bother, decent pint.

Last edited:
Worst ground I ever saw Sunderland play at was Doncaster's Belle Vue in the 87-88 season. Only two sides open. One side looked like it had been bombed in WW2. We had 1,000 fans in a cage behind a goal in a crowd of about 2,800. Won 2-0.

Week by week, League One throws up a range of architectural treasures, but which is the ugliest ground? I would go for the Memorial Stadium.
Bristol Rovers' architectural scheme is based on a shed ethos. Anytime, a new need arises, they place another shed in the stands, or maybe a portacabin, for posh.
It was more like a pigeon cree ethos from what I saw.

Memorial Ground is the worst, stolen from Bristol Rugby as well. Gas happy to demolish the WW2 memorial for a new stadium, but they couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. Tinpot.

Back