Worst Sacking of a Manager at Sunderland

Only Peter Reid for me. Honestly think the rest had to go in that time.

I know what you mean about Reid but did he really have the fire in his belly to rebuild again? I’m not so sure. He’d done 7 years I think he was probably finished with it. There’s certainly an argument though that he could have been given more time for the job he’d done to that point. If we’d known who was coming in mind! Jesus Christ he definitely should have stayed in post

Last edited:
Di Canio - nutty as a fruit cake but he should have had more time. Players didn't like him but so f***ing what...

Agreed. Wish we had him now.
I'm 42, for me Peter Reid and Jack Ross were in hindsight two managers who should have been given more time.

Reid was given more time, he should have been sacked when we finished 4th from bottom.

Last edited:
Agreed. Wish we had him now.

Reid was given more time, he should have been sacked when we finished 4th from bottom.
True but the replacements for both were worse. Di Canio was a shocking manager by the way, that West Brom performance was the worst I've ever witnessed in person by any Sunderland team and that includes Notts County in 93

True but the replacements for both were worse. Di Canio was a shocking manager by the way, that West Brom performance was the worst I've ever witnessed in person by any Sunderland team and that includes Notts County in 93

We've had many more poorer performances than the one away to West Brom. We should have been extreme enough to accept relegation under Di Canio if it came to that and get rid of all the big earners/deadwood. With the right players, Di Canio would have sorted us out imo.

Last edited:
We've had many more poorer performances than the one away to West Brom. We should have been extreme enough to accept relegation under Di Canio if it came to that and get rid of all the big earners/deadwood. With the right players, Di Canio would have sorted us out imo.
Not for me, when you listen to players interviews who've played under him they alway say that the coaching side of it was brilliant but he's far too extreme in his methods IE no rest days at all for weeks etc. Those methods won't work in any workplace let alone a football club

Not for me, when you listen to players interviews who've played under him they alway say that the coaching side of it was brilliant but he's far too extreme in his methods IE no rest days at all for weeks etc. Those methods won't work in any workplace let alone a football club

It says more about the players than Di Canio. He followed a similar approach to training as Arrigo Sacchi, and he wasn't too bad was he? The players were weak, undiscliplined and lacked ambition. They were happy just ambling by doing the bare minimum and it showed in our displays and league finishes.

Look at Sheff Utd, Burnley etc. you could argue the teams we had had more ability than they do, the difference is fight, following instructions and wanting to improve.

It says more about the players than Di Canio. He followed a similar approach to training as Arrigo Sacchi, and he wasn't too bad was he? The players were weak, undiscliplined and lacked ambition. They were happy just ambling by doing the bare minimum and it showed in our displays and league finishes.

Look at Sheff Utd, Burnley etc. you could argue the teams we had had more ability than they do, the difference is fight, following instructions and wanting to improve.

I've supported Sunderland since 1962. That dark day when Paolo was sacked is probably as sad as I've felt in those fifty-eight years in relation to football; the only comparable event was when Cowie tried to bring Clough in and for a brief while we thought it might really happen.
I believed and still believe that if Paolo and his loyal backroom staff had been backed and supported, even if we were relegated along the way, we'd have seen the most exciting times since 1973; but sustained rather than one cup run. The fact that no-one has given Paolo an opportunity since simply underlines the belief that football club owners have no imagination and cannot think for themselves.

I've supported Sunderland since 1962. That dark day when Paolo was sacked is probably as sad as I've felt in those fifty-eight years in relation to football; the only comparable event was when Cowie tried to bring Clough in and for a brief while we thought it might really happen.
I believed and still believe that if Paolo and his loyal backroom staff had been backed and supported, even if we were relegated along the way, we'd have seen the most exciting times since 1973; but sustained rather than one cup run. The fact that no-one has given Paolo an opportunity since simply underlines the belief that football club owners have no imagination and cannot think for themselves.

100% agree mate.

Peter Reid, he should have been sacked at the end of the previous season. We might have actually replaced him with somebody better as might not have had to make a panicked call to Wilkinson to see if he knew of anybody.

I know what you mean about Reid but did he really have the fire in his belly to rebuild again? I’m not so sure. He’d done 7 years I think he was probably finished with it. There’s certainly an argument though that he could have been given more time for the job he’d done to that point. If we’d known who was coming in mind! Jesus Christ he definitely should have stayed in post

I think he earned the right to walk away on his own terms if im honest.

I remember us losing at home to Southend and, well, I'm not sure what happened. Either Denis Smith threw his mate under the bus or Vyv Busby agreed to take the fall for both of them. Either way it looked incredibly harsh for Smith to stay on while Busby was hooked.

There's a tremendous book about Alan Durban's spell as manager, Give Us Tomorrow Now. Tom Cowie undermined him from their very first press conference unveiling Durban. An impossible job straight from the off.

Back