Worst place to live in Sunderland?

Has to be said the worst places in terms of utter filth and houses looking dirty and run down are where the Muslim communities reside.

The state of area around the Bangladeshi community centre is a disgrace really.

It is sad like, the houses themselves are beautiful and theres still a few decent ones but there’s loads empty and you’re only ever a few yards away from a bedsit

Just doesn’t seem to be any money in the area anymore and there must have been loads at one time
Empty in Ashbrooke? Where?

Empty in Ashbrooke? Where?

There’s a lovely big house on the corner of west lawn is empty and had a for sale sign up for months, then another couple round the corner on Ashbrooke road, the old townhouses. There’s some eye sore flats in that street as well which look a mess and half look empty whenever I’ve been past

The elms and elms west are hot and cold, some nice ones but mostly flats and half are empty. All up tunstall road there is the odd empty property and loads of them are flats, valebrook etc.

The Oakes, park place etc near Mowbray park is even worse, there’s dumped cars with trees growing out them and that, litter all over and I’ve been up a few times at tea time and later with the dog and there’s no lights on like, I wouldn’t be suprised it half of them are empty

Shakespeare street/ Carly square in south wick or marly Potts.

Like stepping back in time 150 years, if the victorian ruffians wore tracksuit bottoms and were severely overweight/methhead skiprats that is.

There’s a lovely big house on the corner of west lawn is empty and had a for sale sign up for months, then another couple round the corner on Ashbrooke road, the old townhouses. There’s some eye sore flats in that street as well which look a mess and half look empty whenever I’ve been past

The elms and elms west are hot and cold, some nice ones but mostly flats and half are empty. All up tunstall road there is the odd empty property and loads of them are flats, valebrook etc.

The Oakes, park place etc near Mowbray park is even worse, there’s dumped cars with trees growing out them and that, litter all over and I’ve been up a few times at tea time and later with the dog and there’s no lights on like, I wouldn’t be suprised it half of them are empty
There are a few up for sale, not necessarily empty though. I think I know the West Lawn one,£300k?

It needs a lot of upgrading. My guess it was owned by an oldie who has had to go into care. Happens a lot.

I would still say the area is a good one though. Lovely old houses.

There are a few up for sale, not necessarily empty though. I think I know the West Lawn one,£300k?

It needs a lot of upgrading. My guess it was owned by an oldie who has had to go into care. Happens a lot.

I would still say the area is a good one though. Lovely old houses.

I think so, I can imagine that happens a lot, there was a nice 6 bedroom kip for sale on rightmove when I was looking recently, can’t remember the street but it’s all period features and obviously some old dear who has lived in it for 60 odd year and it needs updating and the stair lift needs ripping out. You just know it will be divided up though and rented out which is a shame

It is beautiful on the surface and it must have been stunning in its day, id love to know about the type of people who lived there 100+ year ago but feels on the decline now like. Me and our lass aren’t looking to buy here, couldn’t afford any of the decent properties to be fair but even if we could theres better value else where

Bullshit.

Many of the ex council houses are bought and there isn't one no go area in Sunderland. There is respect for neighbours in most of the town and there are plenty of very nice private housing too.

This. Some of the post-war council estates are living off bad reputations than actual poor conditions in reality.

Farringdon and Thorney Close are not as bad as made out to be, nor is even Pennywell these days.

With respect, I think this @Aituk7 fella is just attention-seeking.
Threads like this are akin to the Echo Online site publishing a story about bin collections or Brexit.

However, I'll still chuck in my two penn'th.

Places I'd feel uncomfortable in, especially at night....

• Marley Potts
  • Whickham Street side of Roker Avenue
  • Carley Hill
  • Suffolk Street part of Hendon

To be fair, Pennywell has changed so much for the better even just during the last 20-30 years. It would fascinating to see why this is so.

I think so, I can imagine that happens a lot, there was a nice 6 bedroom kip for sale on rightmove when I was looking recently, can’t remember the street but it’s all period features and obviously some old dear who has lived in it for 60 odd year and it needs updating and the stair lift needs ripping out. You just know it will be divided up though and rented out which is a shame

It is beautiful on the surface and it must have been stunning in its day, id love to know about the type of people who lived there 100+ year ago but feels on the decline now like. Me and our lass aren’t looking to buy here, couldn’t afford any of the decent properties to be fair but even if we could theres better value else where
If you get the time the Central Library has Electoral Rolls going back over 100 years ago. You can find out who lived in the houses, although not everyone had the vote then.

This. Some of the post-war council estates are living off bad reputations than actual poor conditions in reality.

Farringdon and Thorney Close are not as bad as made out to be, nor is even Pennywell these days.
I would agree, however it may have been my age at the time.

Last edited:
  • Has its nice parts and worse parts like anywhere else
  • There are lots of other worse places to live
  • It’s a great place to raise a family
  • There is a beach and a lighthouse
  • It doesn’t have terrible crime like London
  • London is a shit hole

Well if you're a young white female i'd be careful..been a spate of assaults an actual rape a young girl being forcefully dragged up the Avenue and schoolkids offered alcohol resulting in the school having to text the parents of ALL the kids to warn them of the dangers of certain people now living on/just off Roker Avenue..these are facts..stay safe folks.

You don't say?!?

Has to be said the worst places in terms of utter filth and houses looking dirty and run down are where the Muslim communities reside.

The state of area around the Bangladeshi community centre is a disgrace really.

When was the last time you were in Marley Potts or the streets north of Southwick Green, pal?

You're not THE Spike, are you? "I am in pursuit"?

Last edited:
With respect, I think this @Aituk7 fella is just attention-seeking.
Threads like this are akin to the Echo Online site publishing a story about bin collections or Brexit.

However, I'll still chuck in my two penn'th.

Places I'd feel uncomfortable in, especially at night....

• Marley Potts
  • Whickham Street side of Roker Avenue
  • Carley Hill
  • Suffolk Street part of Hendon

To be fair, Pennywell has changed so much for the better even just during the last 20-30 years. It would fascinating to see why this is so.
Loads worse places than all those.

Back