Worst place to live in Sunderland?

Pennywell was turned into a ghetto by the council when they dumped loads of problem families and people there....they promptly decided to solve the problem they created by basically knocking Pennywell down. Bit of a disgrace tbh.

Moved to Pennywell in 1975 (from just across the border in Ford Estate), it was a really desirable place to live. Needed loads of points to get in there, especially the eastern side. When I left in '88 the rot had started to set in. Became a bit of a dumping ground for problem families.

Seem to be doing the same with problem families moving in or being bed to the top end of redhouse.. Round the club and shops being particularly bad now... Shame cos 15 years ago it was still a nice place to live..... Bottom end is ok like.

I’ve lived just off Azalea, in Hendon and now Pallion.

I’d rank them in that order from worst to best.

Had some bother with radgies in all 3 like, but where I’m at now is not too bad.

I’ve lived just off Azalea, in Hendon and now Pallion.

I’d rank them in that order from worst to best.
Pallion is canny rough like. Ancona street and around the club- dog rough

Had some bother with radgies in all 3 like, but where I’m at now is not too bad.

Pennywell was turned into a ghetto by the council when they dumped loads of problem families and people there....they promptly decided to solve the problem they created by basically knocking Pennywell down. Bit of a disgrace tbh.

When gentoo turfed them out of Pennywell John Finn housed them in his Pallion slums and then that went downhill. I had an uncle lived in Brady Street in the early 70's and he looked down on us in Ford Estate. Now it's the other way round, Ford Estate is the more desirable.

I’m more towards the Hospital.

Our lass’s cars been egged because she refused to give some bairns outside money and have had two separate occasions where blokes (high as fuck or pissed) have tried to get through me front door, think the lad in the flat next door is into some dodgy shite.

Other than that, it’s cheap, not far from the park or the pub, canny transport links and I get on well with the local shopkeeper.

Swings and roundabouts

@daedalus

Not saying it’s the worst but I moved from hylton castle where I grew up into our lasses flat last year at Ashbrooke and I’ve got to say after living here for a bit Ashbrooke and surrounding areas, Hendon, up near the ivy, nearly all round backhouse Park, the esplanade, near the cricket ground etc there’s some lovely old houses but mostly all split into flats, half derelict, litter all over, abandoned cars, it seems to be a bit of a shit hole

Never really been to Ashbrooke before moving here other than it’s where I used to do all my driving lessons for some reason and my memories of it then (about 10-11 year ago) was that it was all canny nice, seemed to be nice cars parked all owa, nice old houses with nice gardens. Obviously there’s a lot of students in certain streets and always has been. But walking round it with the dog every day I’ve gotten to know the area and it seems to be in total decline. The litter and abandoned properties are the most striking thing. Sunderland high school is abandoned, that college building in backhouse Park is abandoned, the synagogue is derelict, every other house is empty overgrown gardens etc what’s going on?

None of that where I lived in hylton castle, was just working families and old people in my mam and dads street, absolutely no empty properties and no trouble ever. My car insurance went up about £200 when I moved here and when I looked on the police crime map there was sexual assaults, criminal damage, robbery, assaults, drunk and disorderly and all sorts all in the last month alone

Back