worst club at spending big money in recent years

It's us obviously but Spurs had a spell where they would get fantastic fees for players only to waste it on expensive shite, Levy gets loads of plaudits but before Potch came he oversaw many a poor deal.

It's us obviously but Spurs had a spell where they would get fantastic fees for players only to waste it on expensive shite, Levy gets loads of plaudits but before Potch came he oversaw many a poor deal.
levy still do transfers...they did amazing business for years...pochs signings havent been wonderful like..not the big money ones..
broke the club transfer record for sanchez..cant make theteam..

Man Utd. Desperation in trying to out muscle City is just playing right into their hands. They never wanted Sanchez, they did their homework and knew he was a bad apple, but knew Man U would spunk a huge amount on wages. Maguire is a good player but City are doing the same again. Let Man U think we are after him. Let them have him and pay him a fortune in wages. Man U have been an utter shambles in the transfer market since Fergie and Gill left

Probably us in recent years

Easily. I can't really think of a big money signing who has been an unequivocal success. I mean, Fletcher and Gordon weren't too bad, but neither were exactly stand out players during their time with us. Then we paid a load of money for Rodwell who randomly decided he hated football and didn't want to play, ended up paying loads for Alvarez who we didn't even own, thought we'd finally nailed it with Johnson until he became a nonce, fingered a bairn and got carted off to prison, Flo was shit, Borini was canny until we spent big money on him and he became shite, even in this league we break the record to get "guaranteed goals Grigg" and he turns to shit. Think Quinn and Schwarz were record signings at the time, they're about the only major successes I can think of (Bent was doing canny like but was seemingly angling for a move from the start and left pretty quickly). If we're not the worst at signing big money players I'd hate to see who is, we've got a dreadful success rate

It always annoys me how ones for us who have a dodgy attitude but do well on loan or in the cups go for less than we paid, lkke lens, khazri, giachhh, where the toon similar ones go for 30m

I think Man Utd deliberately inflated the wages and transfer market because they had the revenue base to outcompete their rivals, but other clubs have caught up with them now.

According to the Guardian, De Gea has been offered a basic salary in excess of Sanchez's £390k pw and it's just matter of fact as if it's a routine operation.

I think Man Utd deliberately inflated the wages and transfer market because they had the revenue base to outcompete their rivals, but other clubs have caught up with them now.

According to the Guardian, De Gea has been offered a basic salary in excess of Sanchez's £390k pw and it's just matter of fact as if it's a routine operation.
It's Man City and Chelsea who fucked it up by getting shit loads of external investment. a lot of Man Utd's income was generated rather than from investement (or did the get millions pumped in years ago) but given their success since the start of the Premier League then it was understandable. I just saw this graphic today from this Reddit thread. Look at Man City and no doubt Chelsea will have been more if this went back further! We're on there along with Leicester without outside funds nearly double the any of the other teams. Leicester got success but we didn't. I'm not exactly sure where the figures are from but even just the Owner Financing numbers are interesting.

Premier League clubs source of funds, 2008-17 : soccer

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited by a moderator:

Back