Worst accent in the UK?

I think it's an accent that Jacob Rees Mogg has. It is a way of speaking and is more akin to your education and family. You can't tell where you come from by area. You could be from Liverpool, London or Lossiemouth but your accent wouldn't give that away.

From wikihow

Generally, there is no single "British accent" as there are a variety of accents in the entire United Kingdom, all of which may be referred to as British accents. The most popular, however, is the Received Pronunciation which is the accent of Standard English in England. Although there is nothing special about it, it is usually considered to be the accent of elite society. Which is a popular misconception. As RP is split between two different periods, one being of a historical difference where the upper class did have more pronounced speech than that of the lower classes due to their education system. Whilst today the RP accent has been adapted to fit more intricately to standard English as many students have obtained accents that do not connote a region that they are from, this can be asserted as RP.
I know what you mean. Across the country you catch people in certain towns and cities that are really well spoken even though they are from there.

Bristol, Durham, York amongst others have people who speak the queens but live a stone's throw from people who speak like the locals.

I know what you mean. Across the country you catch people in certain towns and cities that are really well spoken even though they are from there.

Bristol, Durham, York amongst others have people who speak the queens but live a stone's throw from people who speak like the locals.
The more stuck up residents of gosforth speak like that.

The women in particular

Funnily none of them were particularly broad scouse, wonder if they consciously toned it down or the accent wasn't as strong back then?

My girlfriend’s dad is from Wallasey and has a very similar, soft sounding scouse accent. Born maybe a decade after the Beatles would have been.

Weren’t The Beatles relatively middle class? Or a meringue.

The more stuck up residents of gosforth speak like that.

The women in particular

The Robson Green ‘posh Geordie’ accent reigns supreme in Gosforth.

I’d probably be found guilty of being the Mackenzie equivalent mind, through years of having to make sure I’m understood by foreigners.

I think it's an accent that Jacob Rees Mogg has. It is a way of speaking and is more akin to your education and family. You can't tell where you come from by area. You could be from Liverpool, London or Lossiemouth but your accent wouldn't give that away.

From wikihow

Generally, there is no single "British accent" as there are a variety of accents in the entire United Kingdom, all of which may be referred to as British accents. The most popular, however, is the Received Pronunciation which is the accent of Standard English in England. Although there is nothing special about it, it is usually considered to be the accent of elite society. Which is a popular misconception. As RP is split between two different periods, one being of a historical difference where the upper class did have more pronounced speech than that of the lower classes due to their education system. Whilst today the RP accent has been adapted to fit more intricately to standard English as many students have obtained accents that do not connote a region that they are from, this can be asserted as RP.
Think theres also a lot of "shared experience" type stuff as well as I can understad a lot of the folks from Barnsley, Ponti, Castleford etc as a lot of it seems to be based on a regional variant of pitmatic and i can understand Glasgow fairly well as a lot of the vocab has either shared words or slight variants of them. Yet i struggle with Southern accents where there doesnt seem to be a shared heritage

The Robson Green ‘posh Geordie’ accent reigns supreme in Gosforth.

I’d probably be found guilty of being the Mackenzie equivalent mind, through years of having to make sure I’m understood by foreigners.
I don’t have an accent. It’s slightly NE but if I tone it down you can’t tell where I’m from.

My brother on the other hand is pure south Sunderland. Even I need subtitles when he speaks

Thick Scouse is so bad, I'd have second thoughts even if someone looked like Margot Robbie.

Some young lad was working at my place - thankfully temporarily - and he thought he was some lovable cheeky scamp. He just sounded like he went round pubs selling turkeys he shoplifted from Tesco.

Back