Worlds Best XI while you’ve been alive

For all those picking Yashin as keeper, would they kind explaining why?

Not having a go, genuinely interested in the reasons
I didn’t pick him as well before my time but has always be renowned as the world’s best of his generation.

Hard for us “youngster’s” to appreciate as v little tv coverage available, guess it’s a bit like Duncan Edwards being one of the best ever, unless you saw him play you wouldn’t be able to give an opinion as so little recorded coverage of him

I didn’t pick him as well before my time but has always be renowned as the world’s best of his generation.

Hard for us “youngster’s” to appreciate as v little tv coverage available, guess it’s a bit like Duncan Edwards being one of the best ever, unless you saw him play you wouldn’t be able to give an opinion as so little recorded coverage of him
Same for me Yashin, pele, Edwards etc all before my time, so I was curious why those that have seen him or were around at that time rated him so highly

6 pages and only one mention of the Maradonna of the Carpathians? and even then only as a 'squad player'.

Hagi is up there with the best of them but gets forgotten about because he was Romanian.

Zoff
D Blind
Costacurta Baresi Maldini

M Laudrup
Maradona C Ronaldo
Bergkamp

M van Basten G Mueller

Subs
O Khan
Ferdinand
A Cole
Messi
J Neeskins
Cryuff
KH Rummenigge
Jean Tigana
Jan Ceulemans
G Batistuta

Had put the wrong Laudrup in...

Last edited:
Buffon
Alberto
Baresi
Maldini
Cole
Zidane
Maradona
Keane
G Ronaldo
Pele
G Ronaldo.

Subs
Messi
Gazza
Cruyff
Best
Kahn
Thuram
Shearer (that team aren't gonna get beat, but if you're one down and need a goal, I can't think of anybody I'd rather bring on than the weetabix heeded kernt).
Shearer, give owa.

Suprised no one has went for Klinsman, also very few for Zico.

Last edited:
Buffon

Dani Alves
Rio Ferdinand
Maldini
Carlos

Ronaldo
Iniesta
Zidane
Messi

Ronaldo
Henry

Last edited:
Shearer, give owa.

Suprised no one has went for Klinsman, also very few for Zico.

If you're a goal down with 30 to go, who would you have instead?

There's not been a better goalscorer in my lifetime, (I'm 54).

I don't care who he played for, (well I do, but... he was still the best I've seen).

If you're a goal down with 30 to go, who would you have instead?

There's not been a better goalscorer in my lifetime, (I'm 54).

I don't care who he played for, (well I do, but... he was still the best I've seen).
Messi, C Ronaldo, Gerd Muller, Van Basten

The fact he has never won the European golden boot would suggest otherwise.

Great player regardless of who he played for, Premier League all time 11 yes, World XI no chance

Messi, C Ronaldo, Gerd Muller, Van Basten

The fact he has never won the European golden boot would suggest otherwise.

Great player regardless of who he played for, Premier League all time 11 yes, World XI no chance

I've already got Ronaldo in though and Messi is on the imaginary bench, alongside Shearer. Muller, I'll give you, maybe but Van Basten, not as good as Shearer. It's about opinions, innit?

The reason Shearer didn't win the golden boot is that he was pig headed enough to think that he could make the mags win things by going there instead of going to Man U. Had he been there or at Real, Inter or Barca, he'd have smashed the golden boot every season.

Amazing player held back by loyalty/arrogance that he could do it with his home club.

I've already got Ronaldo in though and Messi is on the imaginary bench, alongside Shearer. Muller, I'll give you, maybe but Van Basten, not as good as Shearer. It's about opinions, innit?

The reason Shearer didn't win the golden boot is that he was pig headed enough to think that he could make the mags win things by going there instead of going to Man U. Had he been there or at Real, Inter or Barca, he'd have smashed the golden boot every season.

Amazing player held back by loyalty/arrogance that he could do it with his home club.
Van Basten not as good a Shearer, wow, he is the most complete centre forward I've ever seen, scoring record at Milan was better that 1 in 2 in a league which prides itself on defence above all else, retired due injury at 28 having been plagued with a bad ankle for 2 years so we probably never saw him at his peak.

But as you say mate football is all about opinions so we'll agree to differ on that one

Wouldn’t need Dunga protecting the back 4 with Charlie in there, add another forward
Dunga is a bizarre selection full-stop given we live in a world where, for a start, Zinedine Zidane exists.

Schmeichel
Maldini
Thuram
Matthaus
Baresi
Giggs
Ronaldinho
Zidane
Maradona
Bergkamp
Original Ronaldo.

Other predictable choices would include Messi, C Ronaldo, Romario, Figo, Costacurta, Rui Costa, R Baggio et.al.

Last edited:
Van Basten not as good a Shearer, wow, he is the most complete centre forward I've ever seen, scoring record at Milan was better that 1 in 2 in a league which prides itself on defence above all else, retired due injury at 28 having been plagued with a bad ankle for 2 years so we probably never saw him at his peak.

But as you say mate football is all about opinions so we'll agree to differ on that one

Van Basten was at Milan at a time when they were in a league of their own, there though. I think Shearer would have scored even more than that and more still in Spain. He scored something like 130 goals in 170 games for Blackburn! Both world class for me. One just had no ambition, (or misguided ambition).

Same could be said of plenty of players, someone like Matt Le Tissier playing for Arsenal or Liverpool is a good example. Kevin Philipps playing up front for Man Utd could have been a World team contender.

Back