Worlds Best XI while you’ve been alive

Be interesting to see how much of Dunga he's actually seen as well.
Other than his world cup appearances, I'd expect its not many.
It seems fairly unlikely it’s based on anything other than World Cup performances. A quick look at his Wikipedia suggests that for British viewers, the only time he could possibly have been seen other than playing for Brazil is if he featured for Fiorentina or Pescara on one of the early C4 Football Italia’s between 1992 and 93. After that he went to Stuttgart for a couple of seasons. I can’t recall any broadcasters showing Bundesliga games back then. Sky Sports was still at 2 channels, and aside from that there was only Eurosport.

Dunga was widely slated for his performances at Italia 90, but to be fair, he was one of the better Brazilian players of 1994. One of the worst sides to win a World Cup, and few will argue with that. But other than being captain, he was by no means the most memorable or stand out player in a side which also had the likes of Romario, Leonardo and Bebeto. As for 1998, well, you would have had to not even bother watching it at all to put him, or any other midfielder for that matter, ahead of Zidane.

They had some team in early 2k as well.

Buffon
Panucci
Nesta
Cannavaro
Zambrotta
Gattuso
Pirlo
Zanetti
Del Piero
Totti
Vieri

Kinda surprised De Rossi or Inzaghi wasn't there, but they had some generation at that point.

To be fair Italy has been an absolute power house for generations. Less so lately but they had a long period of dominating (if not winning) tournaments

I'm hoping that defence can hold up because they have no protection

I went with the same ethos midfield and forwards attack like fuck and the best defenders in the world can cope

Last edited:
It seems fairly unlikely it’s based on anything other than World Cup performances. A quick look at his Wikipedia suggests that for British viewers, the only time he could possibly have been seen other than playing for Brazil is if he featured for Fiorentina or Pescara on one of the early C4 Football Italia’s between 1992 and 93. After that he went to Stuttgart for a couple of seasons. I can’t recall any broadcasters showing Bundesliga games back then. Sky Sports was still at 2 channels, and aside from that there was only Eurosport.

Dunga was widely slated for his performances at Italia 90, but to be fair, he was one of the better Brazilian players of 1994. One of the worst sides to win a World Cup, and few will argue with that. But other than being captain, he was by no means the most memorable or stand out player in a side which also had the likes of Romario, Leonardo and Bebeto. As for 1998, well, you would have had to not even bother watching it at all to put him, or any other midfielder for that matter, ahead of Zidane.

Exactly.
Think it's a one of those entries somebody makes when they want to appear more clued up than they are.

GK - Buffon

RB - Dani Alves
CB - Cannavaro
CB - Maldini
LB - Cole

CM - Xavi
CM - Zidane
CM - Iniesta

FW - Ronaldo
FW - C. Ronaldo
FW - Messi

Honourable mentions to;

Batistuta
Shevchenko
Guti
Kaka
Cafu
Thiago Silva
Henry
Shearer
Lahm
Robben
Schmiechel
Honeyman
I would have thought cheating bastard would have had a mention.

This is impossible. Even choosing a keeper is difficult.

Buffon

Maldini
Thuram
R. Carlos
Cole

Messi
Gazza
Maradonna
Zidane

C. Ronaldo
Ronaldo

I want bergkamp in my team as he’s one of my all time favourites but I can’t drop anyone.

Edit: drop Maradonna (as if I’m saying that ffs) and put C. Ronaldo in midfield then play him up front along side Ronaldo

Last edited:

To be fair, Zidane was a different type of midfielder and your comments about how much the op saw of his choice, you could say the same about 90% of the older generations picks.

Im sure the ones that picked yashin in goal bearly saw him, but read about him or the ones that picked Maradona only saw a few game, mostly world cups

To be fair, Zidane was a different type of midfielder and your comments about how much the op saw of his choice, you could say the same about 90% of the older generations picks.

Im sure the ones that picked yashin in goal bearly saw him, but read about him or the ones that picked Maradona only saw a few game, mostly world cups
In the context of the OP, it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever if Zidane was a different type of midfielder. In the spirit of the thread, people have largely opted to select players true to their natural positions to make a conventional line up, but given a choice of selecting eleven players to make up a hypothetical team of purely the best players for each position, and as subjective as this bullshit is, even if the OP made it mandatory to select a best defensive midfielder, there’s still absolutely no logical grounds for selecting someone like Dunga over a countless number of other defensive midfielders, from at least the past 30 years. The likes of Makalele, and N’Golo Kante are far better for a start. And they’re just players off the top of my head who’ve featured for one Premier League club in recent times.

In the context of the OP, it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever if Zidane was a different type of midfielder. In the spirit of the thread, people have largely opted to select players true to their natural positions to make a conventional line up, but given a choice of selecting eleven players to make up a hypothetical team of purely the best players for each position, and as subjective as this bullshit is, even if the OP made it mandatory to select a best defensive midfielder, there’s still absolutely no logical grounds for selecting someone like Dunga over a countless number of other defensive midfielders, from at least the past 30 years. The likes of Makalele, and N’Golo Kante are far better for a start. And they’re just players off the top of my head who’ve featured for one Premier League club in recent times.
And in the context of the op and the numerous posts, it's purely personal and certainly doesn't require an in depth analysis on how often the op saw someone play

If you're a goal down with 30 to go, who would you have instead?

There's not been a better goalscorer in my lifetime, (I'm 54).

I don't care who he played for, (well I do, but... he was still the best I've seen).
Both Ian Rush and Gary Lineker were better goal scorers than Shearer and that's just from the British game.

No mention of ruud van nistelrooy

Last edited:

Back