World War Two - The Pacific Theatre

Has anyone got any good recommendations for non-fiction books on the pacific campaign during WW2?

I enjoy Antony Beevor's books and I'm currently working my way through James Holland's Normandy 44 but unfortunately neither have done anything on the pacific. I see Max Hastings has one on the battle for Japan but it's limited to 1944-1945, presumably missing out Midway and Guadalcanal etc.

Has anyone got any good recommendations for non-fiction books on the pacific campaign during WW2?

I enjoy Antony Beevor's books and I'm currently working my way through James Holland's Normandy 44 but unfortunately neither have done anything on the pacific. I see Max Hastings has one on the battle for Japan but it's limited to 1944-1945, presumably missing out Midway and Guadalcanal etc.
I have the Hasting`s one which is excellent but I`d like one that covers the whole aspect of their side of the war so will be watching this thread with interest. I do hope to get No Surrender by Hiroo Onoda telling his story of still fighting the war until he surrendered in 1973. Quite a remarkable story.

I have the Hasting`s one which is excellent but I`d like one that covers the whole aspect of their side of the war so will be watching this thread with interest. I do hope to get No Surrender by Hiroo Onoda telling his story of still fighting the war until he surrendered in 1973. Quite a remarkable story.

I've seen Ian W. Toll has two books of a trilogy out; "Pacific Crucible" and "The Conquering Tide" with the third due mid 2020, which would practically cover the whole campaign from start to finish, however they're both hefty books and I'm loathed to start them if they're going to be dry.

Back