World War 2 Documentaries

mickb2112

Striker
Obviously The World At War is the gold standard of WWII documentaries but I`ve just seen a couple on the National Geographic channel that some of you might be interested in.

There`s one on Das Reich including its atrocities at Orador-sur-Glane and one called Inside The SS which includes interviews with surviving members of the SS talking relatively recently about their experiences some have renounced their extreme views but a couple who horrifyingly show no remorse and indeed still justify their actions today.

Two fascinating (both two parters as well) documentaries including footage I hadn`t seen before and eye witness accounts. Should still be available on the National Geographic channel and well worth watching.

Obviously The World At War is the gold standard of WWII documentaries but I`ve just seen a couple on the National Geographic channel that some of you might be interested in.

There`s one on Das Reich including its atrocities at Orador-sur-Glane and one called Inside The SS which includes interviews with surviving members of the SS talking relatively recently about their experiences some have renounced their extreme views but a couple who horrifyingly show no remorse and indeed still justify their actions today.

Two fascinating (both two parters as well) documentaries including footage I hadn`t seen before and eye witness accounts. Should still be available on the National Geographic channel and well worth watching.
Saw a good one last week on Sky, all about the 12th SS Panzer Division after D Day. The unit was basically made up of Hitler Youth and a fanatical experienced CO.
Logon or register to see this image

Kurt Meyer. Ruthless bastard.

War related - Five Came Back is about the great film directors of the era going out to record the war.

I'm assuming you've already got the We Have Ways Of Making You Talk podcast, that's terrific.

Unfortunately, being a WW2 enthusiast conjures up the priest from Father Ted who isn't interested in anything from the Allied side...

Last edited by a moderator:
If any one is interested there are 13 episodes of world at war on UK TV play box set .

Only 13? They were all on there last week as I binge watched them all.
Used to watch it for hours with my dad, I bought him the whole series. Was fascinated by it, it’s great to nodd off to as well.

Same Joe, used to watch it on a Sunday afternoon as a kid, with my dad. At the time, all I was interested in was the footage, so it was great to re-watch them all last week and hear the background to battles, survivors stories etc.

One that stuck with me was the bloke off the sunken oil tanker in a lifeboat, explaining that they tried rescue a lad but he was that badly burnt, that his skin just fell off his arms "like a glove" as they tried to lift him in the boat. Poor blokes.

Last edited:
Dig WW2 with Dan Snow

Watched a couple of these recently, very interesting. Including locating and recovering bits of a Spitfire that crashed in to an Irish bo allg. They dug it up, cleaned the guns up and successfully test fired them. Amazing considering it crashed at 300 mph and had been in a bog for tens of years.

Last edited:
Dig WW2 with Dan Snow

Watched a couple of these recently, very interesting. Including locating and recovering bits of a Spitfire that crashed in to an Irish bo allg. They dug it up, cleaned the guns up and successfully test fired them. Amazing considering it crashed at 300 mph and had been in a bog for tens of years.

I noticed it was on the other day, so series linked it

Anyone remember the one about the Atlantic convoys made by Jeremy Clarkson? Ark angel rings a bell, possibly name of the ship

Can remember another another by a top gear presenter, Richard Hammond possibly about D-day

Back