World Population - A bit morbid but interesting.

This current obsession with death rates etc has got me thinking so I took a look at the worlds current population which is approx 7.8bn

In the year I was born (1966) it was 3.4bn, so that's a massive 229% increase in my lifetime. I also looked at the population at the time of the Spanish Flu (1918-1920). It is estimated to have killed 50m to 100m people and the world population at that time was around 1.8bn, so even using the lower 50m deaths figure it killed, one person in every 36 on the planet which is a terryfying death rate (2.78%). If the current virus kills even say a quarter that many (0.7%), then the final death toll worldwide would be 54.6m (464,000 in the UK). Hopefully it will be nowhere near that and many people avoid infection or we get a vaccine in time.

What I find interesting is that even this massive number of deaths would not prevent the world population growing this year. The projected increase in world population is around 80m for this year and as many of the 54m deaths would have died anyway in either this year or the next decade or so due to their age, plus they are mostly not of child baring age, then the world population will still continue to rise fast and the virus will have only been a minor blip in that upward trajectory. Births will continue to accelerate at the same rate as before while deaths in the older generations will be lower slightly in the next few years due to those deaths being effectively front loaded into this year.

So much for the four horseman theory trying to correct population growth. It would take something even more catastrophic that attacks the younger child baring generation to stop the rise in world population.

Its mad how quickly the world population is existentially rising. We need to figure out a way to clean up the resources we use and get actually off the planet!

This current obsession with death rates etc has got me thinking so I took a look at the worlds current population which is approx 7.8bn

In the year I was born (1966) it was 3.4bn, so that's a massive 229% increase in my lifetime. I also looked at the population at the time of the Spanish Flu (1918-1920). It is estimated to have killed 50m to 100m people and the world population at that time was around 1.8bn, so even using the lower 50m deaths figure it killed, one person in every 36 on the planet which is a terryfying death rate (2.78%). If the current virus kills even say a quarter that many (0.7%), then the final death toll worldwide would be 54.6m (464,000 in the UK). Hopefully it will be nowhere near that and many people avoid infection or we get a vaccine in time.

What I find interesting is that even this massive number of deaths would not prevent the world population growing this year. The projected increase in world population is around 80m for this year and as many of the 54m deaths would have died anyway in either this year or the next decade or so due to their age, plus they are mostly not of child baring age, then the world population will still continue to rise fast and the virus will have only been a minor blip in that upward trajectory. Births will continue to accelerate at the same rate as before while deaths in the older generations will be lower slightly in the next few years due to those deaths being effectively front loaded into this year.

So much for the four horseman theory trying to correct population growth. It would take something even more catastrophic that attacks the younger child baring generation to stop the rise in world population.

If anything, lockdown may mean a temporary increase in the birth rate in nine months or so from now.

This virus reaction is absurd. Have you seen how many people have actually died?

This virus reaction is absurd. Have you seen how many people have actually died?
Also how many of those would have died sooner rather than later due to their underlying problems/age anyway. Sorry for anyone who has lost anyone to this mind healthy or otherwise, not trivialising at all just talking statistics.

Someone told me a fact which may be an urban myth but it was that there are more people alive today than have ever died? Can't be right can it even at the rate we are populating??

Also how many of those would have died sooner rather than later due to their underlying problems/age anyway. Sorry for anyone who has lost anyone to this mind healthy or otherwise, not trivialising at all just talking statistics.

Someone told me a fact which may be an urban myth but it was that there are more people alive today than have ever died? Can't be right can it even at the rate we are populating??

Definitely an urban myth. Estimated that between 60bn-100bn have already lived and died.

129% increase.

Something like, say, the sterilisation virus from Dan Brown’s Inferno?
If you sterilise people, then the population decreases without anyone having to die prematurely. It’s the only practical solution.

Back