Workplace troubles

This.
The O.P. should just go at his proper finishing time along with the rest of the workforce. Work to rule basically.
If the workload is too much, then it is up to the supervision to manage it better with the workforce he has in the allocated daily schedule, - not put it onto the workforce to stay back.
Something similar happened to me last week at work.

I finished on Thursday evening for 10 days of annual leave but I was expected to finish some work. The rest of the team attended a training course that I was also booked on but wasn’t allowed to attend.

I tried my best then I was told to handover at 3pm to 2 colleagues. It took 90 minutes to handover when I had a good chance of completing the work in that time.

I’m a bit pissed off as management disorganisation has lumbered me with a few tasks now that don’t have adequately refined requirements, deadlines or communication between the stakeholders.

I am sorting out an escape plan as no matter how much fuss I make there won’t be any improvements. I’ll bite my lip and work my normal hours.

This.
The O.P. should just go at his proper finishing time along with the rest of the workforce. Work to rule basically.
If the workload is too much, then it is up to the supervision to manage it better with the workforce he has in the allocated daily schedule, - not put it onto the workforce to stay back.

work to rule is one of if not the most effective way to get things done imo.

Nothing exciting I'm afraid.

Today was in a long list of really aggravating situations at work involving my useless manager.

Chose to stay behind 2 hours later to finish some work the team I manage hadn't managed to get done (the workload was too much and they had all grafted hard). Sent a quick message to say I would be late home, next thing I'm in a meeting with my arsehole of a manager being given a warning for sending social messages in work and being told it would have to be reported as misconduct. Had enough and said ok I would just go home then. Next thing he's stood saying well this isn't good I don't think you're pulling your weight.

The work was for our whole team all the rest of which had left 90 mins earlier (which theyre well within their right to do), wouldn't care quite as if he hadn't been sat on top trumps online himself and hadn't took a sick day last Friday to drive South for a monster trucks rally. Company have also brought in a relief manager to assist him (his interpretation is do all his work) as this guy has been bursting into tears saying his staff are bullying him. He also now isn't allowed a phone as apparently phone calls cause him anxiety.

Any advice on what to do ? Don't normally post stuff like this but this is the latest in a long list of situations where I've ended up getting more shit for doing extra work than I would if I sacked it off. Needless to say also he's a raging Keegan mag.

Say you've got a fever and a cough and see him in 2 weeks.

Take out a formal grievance and get him in a meeting with a proper minute taker. I don't know if you get paid for the overtime you do, but if not, please don't do it. The bosses love it and put pressure on the rest of us to do it too. Plus if you don't mind me saying, some people might think it makes you look a bit of a management lickspittle. All of a sudden a culture develops where it's 'expected'. Not taking a lunch break is another example of that sort of work-for-free culture they try to develop.

Also, if you are not already, you and all your team should join a union, which will help stop you being bothered so much by the ha'penny skinning gradgrinds who pass for the grand majority of UK bosses

Great post but the union bit I don’t agree with. This thread is a little about people who work and those who don’t and expect others to do it for them so consider this if you will.

Collective bargaining I.e. you work your arse off, your pal doesn’t and you both get the same pay cheque and pay rise. Bullocks to that!

I appreciate peoples rights to join a union but for this reason alone they are not for me.

Great post but the union bit I don’t agree with. This thread is a little about people who work and those who don’t and expect others to do it for them so consider this if you will.

Collective bargaining I.e. you work your arse off, your pal doesn’t and you both get the same pay cheque and pay rise. Bullocks to that!

I appreciate peoples rights to join a union but for this reason alone they are not for me.
The OP told us in post #1 that all of his team had grafted as expected. It’s their manager who isn’t pulling their weight.

In my experience, it's the reverse. The union members work hard, pay their subs and struggle for improved pay and conditions.

When we've won them, the non-union freeloader who's done nothing and paid no subs is the first in the queue for handouts. Absolutely shameless they are.

In my experience, it's the reverse. The union members work hard, pay their subs and struggle for improved pay and conditions.

When we've won them, the non-union freeloader who's done nothing and paid no subs is the first in the queue for handouts. Absolutely shameless they are.
Exactly that . I mean it's fair enough if the non union people want to give up all rights and terms won by the unions and start from scratch . Like all health and safety regs , bank holidays , sick pay, termination rights .
If that's the case I say go for it , paddle your own canoe but don't cry when it sinks.

Whatever happened to him?

Still waiting outside what used to be Idols, with Westside Story blaring away on his Spotify list.

Curious one, that. A comparatively innocent lad at first impression, having the piss ripped out of him until a few kindly souls took him under their protective wing, disappeared, then came back as Danny Dyer, Accountant to the stars.

I hope he's sorted out whatever mental health problems he was undoubtedly having.

Back