Working on Christmas Day

My other half is a children’s nurse so every other year she works it as a rule, off this year though and Boxing Day as well so we can get pissed up for a change.

Work available at our place for them that wants it.usually the ethnics put there names down .First Boxing Day off for me in 24 years since I started added bonus I can get to the game at bramall lane.downside no public transport .

Absolutely dead against working Christmas Day. I’m not religious, just think people should have a day off from serving the public for one day a year to spend with their families. Saying that though, we’ve got 300 booked in so I’ll be working all day. Ugh.

I'm off Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day. :D

Worked for xbox support (original xbox at release so a long time ago) and have never worked xmas since.

That day was hell. The quality control I guess was shit so loads of the f***ing things didnt work at all and the original release didnt include the AV cable for most UK tvs at the time so it was wall to wall half drunk dads who had been faffing all morning trying to get it to work then sat in a call queue for 2 hours pressing random numbers until they all came through to us anyway as nowhere else was working while their spoilt brat just SCREAMED in the background. There is probably only Jack Rodwell in the wold been called a c*nt more than me.

Bad day and never worked on christmas day since.

Good luck to everyone that is doing it though, I'm sure it will be fine.

Last edited:
Before I had the bairn I worked in racing and horses still have to be exercised, fed and mucked out . We either had xmas day and boxing day off or new years Eve and new years day. So obvs us youngens with no kids weren't bothered about being off xmas, and there was also the big xmas meetings so if we had runners we got big tips from the owners :lol:
i was away down in Lambourn so well away from family so I'd not have made it down and back in the 2 days so it wasn't worth going home anyway. Our boss was great and used to pay for us to have our Christmas dinner in the pub, mind going back on an afternoon to feed up half cut was a job in itself!

Worked it once, at EE.

4 hour shift - 8 till 12. Didn't mind doing it, don't have kids etc and was home by dinner time. Sat having crack with everyone, the odd call to register a new sim card was about all you got. Free bacon sandwich, bottle of juice and plenty prizes been given out too. Never won out mind :lol:

Anybody on here working on Christmas Day? Are you forced to because of shift patterns or do you volunteer?

At a guess...

Police
Firemen
Nurses
Doctors
Taxi Drivers
and more importantly Bar/Pub Staff... will all be working on Christmas day.

Edit... and Soldiers....

I've always been off from around the 22nd until the 3rd Jan, unless I count when I worked in a pub on Christmas Eve one year as as student.

I worked in academia so the place shut down for 2 weeks. When I left, I started a new job in September and was considered too new to be much use over Christmas, so I got that off and promised I would work the next one. I left on December 15th, was considered too new in my next job so skipped that one too. I managed to miss the rota the next Christmas but was told I would be working the next one. I left at Easter, returned to academia and now have 2 weeks every Christmas again. Not bad going to avoid it for 20 years. 20 more to go and I'm laughing.

Back