Working late

Only when work dictates that I should. For example on Saturday just gone, I should have finished at 1am. At that time I was stuck in a hospital ED and didn’t leave until 5:45am. I then had to take the patient to another location, where I had essential paperwork to complete then get back to my office, dekit, send my boss an email to explain that his ot budget had just gone tits up and knock off at 8:30am.
Can never do enough for a good firm, that’s what I always say.

In my last job I used to do a load of late shifts working well into the night, but I was always in at 7:45 so sometimes I would be doing 7:45 until 8-9pm then log on at home to finish things off. Since I moved to my new job a few years ago (same company) I rarely do the required 8 hours a day. as long as there are no outstanding issues we can come and go as we please really. Had about 6 hours off on Monday to sort the house out and no one mentioned it. Canny job really.

Used to, but my sister passed away last year at no age. Gave me a wake up call reduced my days to 4 days a week in Jan for more of a work/life balance. Shuffled out going’s to compensate, sky, mobiles, other usual payment stuff. Best thing I’ve ever done.

In my experience people never get noticed for starting early, only finishing late. A Few places I have worked this has been the case. One lad would work to 7pm every night when everyone else would leave between 4 and 5. The manager would say “people should take a leaf out of his book”?????? Only he wouldn’t turn up on a morning until 10 ??? Which is fine as he has worked his hours, but others would turn up at 7am and work till 4:00 and it would be frowned upon?

Politics of working in an office I suppose.
Did nobody point that out, or is the work load greater later?

Having had a very stressful time of late where I could be working 6am until 11pm, and loads of hours at a weekend, only stopping to put bairns in Bath/bed it got to the point where it became unsustainable and was putting real pressure on me mentally and on my marriage.

I made the decision to visit the office more often rather than work from home where that work/home balance becomes blurred and do my 8:30 until 16:30, maybes flicking through my email on my phone for a few minutes at a time at home to keep things ticking over in other regions when they were online. If things don’t get done, I’m doing my best during the hours I’m paid for. It became obvious other people couldn’t car if things failed, so why should I be concerned.

It’s hard to change your mentality to get things done, but to put in extra hours without any reward was simply stupid and could’ve had serious knock on effects to my health, so I’ve now stopped working extra to the extent I was.

Last edited:
Depends - most days I'm in the office 745-12 then head home and monitor emails in the afternoon/take calls, approve orders/payments etc when the US office come online and pick the kids up at 4. Quarter and year end I'll work 745-2200 for a couple of days

I
Having had a very stressful time of late where I could be working 6am until 11pm, and loads of hours at a weekend, only stopping to put bairns in Bath/bed it got to the point where it became unsustainable and was putting real pressure on me mentally and on my marriage.

I made the decision to visit the office more often rather than work from home where that work/home balance becomes blurred and do my 8:30 until 16:30, maybes flicking through my email on my phone for a few minutes at a time at home to keep things ticking over in other regions when they were online. If things don’t get done, I’m doing my best during the hours I’m paid for. It became obvious other people couldn’t car if things failed, so why should I be concerned.

It’s hard to change your mentality to get things done, but to put in extra hours without any reward was simply stupid and could’ve had serious knock on effects to my health, so I’ve now stopped working extra to the extent I was.

I was getting stressed at work for a few years, taking it out on kids and family. But now I have learnt to leave it. We can all put a decent graft in during our normal working hours, and also work extra if a deadline is to be met.

We are all different, I have worked with some people who refuse to log off until they are the last person in the office??? Weird!!

8.30-4.30

Don't mind staying a bit later if something is urgent, certainly wouldn't be here till midnight or any bollocks like that

I used to work 7-3 every day on full flexi but recently changed to 9.30-6.30, build an hour flexi every day and I get to wake up whenever I want, usually fresh as a daisy. Makes for good timing when I go to the gym after work too as by the time I get there just after 7 it's pretty quiet, quick hour session back home for tea and a shower and in bed for half 9... Life :cool:

Worked on a certain client site where it was Flexi time.
Most people would do 7:30/8-4ish and the office would be dead by 4:15, so the gift was to start at 10 aiming to finish at 6 but then leave when you were the last person in the office at 4:30.

Does anyone do it? For example I’ve done 4 hours extra tonight finishing at 10.nightmare of a shift

dont want to rub salt in the wounds mate but sometimes i get finished at 1pm....sometimes 2 on one occasion i was done by 11 and i still get paid for a full day

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Back