Working in the fitness industry

Does anyone here have any experience of working professionally in the fitness industry please?

I’m having a ponder about diversifying my qualifications away from software development.

I have lost quite a lot of fat recently and in my late 40s I think that I’m in one of the best states of fitness since I was a teenager.

I think that there could be a market out there for helping middle aged people to lose weight sensibly.

Initially I wouldn’t want to start a business as I realise that there’s a lot of competition. I’d be looking at working part time in perhaps 5+ years time so I’ll probably have lost interest by then. But I’d be interested in seeing what a level 2 certificate would offer in the way of job opportunities.

Does anyone here have any experience of working professionally in the fitness industry please?

I’m having a ponder about diversifying my qualifications away from software development.

I have lost quite a lot of fat recently and in my late 40s I think that I’m in one of the best states of fitness since I was a teenager.

I think that there could be a market out there for helping middle aged people to lose weight sensibly.

Initially I wouldn’t want to start a business as I realise that there’s a lot of competition. I’d be looking at working part time in perhaps 5+ years time so I’ll probably have lost interest by then. But I’d be interested in seeing what a level 2 certificate would offer in the way of job opportunities.
I don't think you are a neanderthal or a hunk which are both seemingly prerequisites to be a personal trainer Stevie lad.

Could you not do both? Develop a fitness app and do practical sessions with it?

Did a PT course last year (still waiting for funding and final marking). It was a Level 2 in Fitness Instructing & Level 3 in Personal Training course. 12 weeks and a 2k loan.
Even if you don't want to work in a gym, you could freelance once you've got the qualifications.
It'll really help (even if just for your confidence when coaching) if you are in somewhere near peak condition

Last edited:

Midlife crisis Stevie?

You will be buying a Motorbike next

Midlife crisis Stevie?

You will be buying a Motorbike next
This will be my 3rd (and best) mid life crisis my friend.

I already have a new moped and a shiny helmet.

I hope that you are all ok

Did a PT course last year (still waiting for funding and final marking). It was a Level 2 in Fitness Instructing & Level 3 in Personal Training course. 12 weeks and a 2k loan.
Even if you don't want to work in a gym, you could freelance once you've got the qualifications.
It'll really help (even if just for your confidence when coaching) if you are in somewhere near peak condition
Thank you very much for the information. Good luck with the funding.

Last edited:
This will be my 3rd (and best) mid life crisis my friend.

I already have a new moped and a shiny helmet.

I hope that you are all ok

Thank you very much for the information. Good luck with the funding.
Cheers marra! Taken over a year so far :evil: Finally looks like I'm getting somewhere though.

Best of luck with whichever route you go down. Feel free to PM if you want a bit more info with anything

PM sent you pervert.

To be a PT, you really need to learn to baffle people with that many different exercises you convince them that you know your stuff! Every PT I have seen in the DL gym does OTT unnecessary workouts, usually conning women/older people out of £40 a time. There might be a market there Steve for you to undercut! Good luck!
My dream would be to own a gym similar to “average Joe’s” in the dodgeball film.

Last edited:
I've worked as a PT and spinning instructor alongside sports nutrition. I found although I was earning decent money that I had too much time on my hands and hard to cope with. I've found a new job *February gone* and teach part time now 3 clients. I'm 57 in October and without sounding vain feel I'm the fittest person around for my age. It's a passion of mine but feel it's more personal to me than as a career. Good luck with your choice and feel free to PM or ask questions.

I've worked as a PT and spinning instructor alongside sports nutrition. I found although I was earning decent money that I had too much time on my hands and hard to cope with. I've found a new job *February gone* and teach part time now 3 clients. I'm 57 in October and without sounding vain feel I'm the fittest person around for my age. It's a passion of mine but feel it's more personal to me than as a career. Good luck with your choice and feel free to PM or ask questions.
Thank you. Having had a think I would have to work on my interpersonal skills quite hard as I’m not a ‘people’ person. I might just stick with keeping myself buff and perhaps I could start a blog of some kind to help fat old farts.

Last edited:

Back