1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Working in the ‘stans

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Dave Herbal, Oct 10, 2017.

1. ighty seven

ighty seven Winger

canny treck for a pint

2. Paddy O'Dors

Paddy O'Dors Striker

Warra fucking flange .

Mackem00 likes this.
  3. I think I can safely say, if you don’t go we will all regret it

Market Where?, Coeus, James and 5 others like this.
  4. Musicman

Musicman Winger

If you really are the way you say you are, don't go. You will be ripped to bits starting from getting ripped off with taxi driver and taken to nearest cash point. Worked in the area for years on and off. I felt safer in Basra than Atyrau late at night. The locals hate us....

5. Take your clipboard if it will make you feel more at home.;)

Conferences will be a little different as people will be on full on dickhead mode either getting lashed as they are away from home or trying to network their way up the career ladder.
    If you are away to do some work and are effectively a guest in someone else's country, people will generally be wanting to make you feel welcome and tell you how great the place is.
    Despite all the scare stories, 90% of people are alright and will want to make you welcome.

6. Herbal, always need samples of our CaO dropping at such places - it's a pure white powder, if I give you some will you take it for me ?

pint in it

7. Ffs :lol:

There’s a film plot here

8. FishburnMackem

FishburnMackem Midfield

This advice also goes for travelling to/in Peterlee

9. Biffo The Bear

Biffo The Bear Midfield Lost Magpie

If it is Kazakhstan it really depends upon where you are based / fly into.

Astana is modern - Airport no bother and flights via Lufthansa are decent.
    Almaty is modern and a great night out. Loads of bars and restaurants. Airport as above.
    Locals very friendly and most speak English very well.

If you are, like me, unlucky............
    Atyrau is crap. One decent hotel and a couple of decent bars and restaurants. Flights via Air Astana are expensive and service almost non-existent. Customs are a pain in the arse.
    You will get a tatty immigration slip which you have to register with police within 5 days. Do Not Lose it or you will not be allowed to fly out. If you realise early enough you can replace it for $300. Carry passport (with slip) whenever out as can be stopped at any time to produce. No passport = On the spot 'fine' or if late a night in the Plod Hotel.
    Most locals ok except in the bars late on when it can be very 'interesting'.

10. Keawyeds

Keawyeds Striker

Considering their pinnacle achievement for beer is probably Kronembourg I'd say it was a wasted journey.
    Unless @Dave Herbal did a Big Sam and had a pint of wine

11. AndrewP

AndrewP Striker

You should have taken the easy route to money and gone to medical school.

12. peil

peil Striker Contributor

Well, he was just nipping out for a paper, but....

Stevie Freestein II likes this.
  13. SydneyFan

SydneyFan Winger

He talks footy with us and we don't love him.
    Just joking Herbal me old fruit.

14. Royston Vasey

Royston Vasey Striker

Don't forget your packed lunch

15. Haway @Dave Herbal , this sounds fun

You can write a blog. From prison or not, we don’t care

Stevie Freestein II likes this.
  16. ouro

ouro Striker

Atyrau is fucking bleak mind.

When they started the 14 day visa exemption (now 28), the immigration official 'accidentally' stamped my passport with the wrong date so I had already overstayed. Luckily one of the office admin girls spotted it straight away and drove back to the airport with my boarding card to make sure they put it right. I have had several issues in Atyrau fucking airport.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017 at 2:09 PM
  17. WildTurkey

WildTurkey Midfield

I’m trying to get to Astana but it’s a bastard fortune

Get yersel out there on a freebie and enjoy it

18. Bollotti

Bollotti Midfield

Watch this for the travelers guide to the Stans......... Should pick up some good tips

19. Musicman

Musicman Winger

Issues in the airport, did they involve the bastard putting his hat on the counter to put money in. Also calling you back through after opening your case