Working in the ‘stans

Status
Not open for further replies.

In those parts of the world you need to pretend to be a mongol - they are their regional aristocracy.

You could get a head start by nipping to Blackpool one weekend to learn how to fire arrows from a moving donkey.

Haway DH. Just go for it. What's the worst that can happen?
Death by a thousand cuts.

Target for the local archery practice.

Molten gold poured into his eyes.

Blown to bits out of a cannon.

Marriage to the tribal munter.

https://listverse.com/2017/03/06/10-dark-secrets-of-the-mongol-empire/

Last edited:
Khazak, Uzbek etc

Might have some work there for a few days.
Having never worked abroad before, being a nervous wreck without a wingman, and with an almost pathological dislike of dealing with strangers, how difficult is this likely to be?

My lifetime foreign achievement so far has been to fly to Paris and go for a pint on my own.

If I’m met at the airport, taken to the hotel, picked up for the job, returned to the hotel and taken back to the airport, I may just about cope with it. But if I’m left to arrange any part of it myself, I’m likely to end up wandering around eternally like Marcus Brodie in The Last Crusade.

Anyone worked there before, and if so, how many times did you get ripped off and/or mugged?

Uber and shout at the locals in English

You'll be shot

One of them you aren't allowed a beard, which i'm using just as a start-off point for woe gauge basis, to give a flavour, you know. Think it might be Tajikistan

Get a load of that Dictatorland programme. Some pretty good stuff going on by all accounts

You'll be shot

One of them you aren't allowed a beard, which i'm using just as a start-off point for woe gauge basis, to give a flavour, you know. Think it might be Tajikistan
He needs to take plenty of dollars with him as the cops were trained in South Yorkshire and are as corrupt as buggery.

In those parts of the world you need to pretend to be a mongol - they are their regional aristocracy.

You could get a head start by nipping to Blackpool one weekend to learn how to fire arrows from a moving donkey.

Death by a thousand cuts.

Target for the local archery practice.

Molten gold poured into his eyes.

Blown to bits out of a cannon.

Marriage to the tribal munter.

https://listverse.com/2017/03/06/10-dark-secrets-of-the-mongol-empire/

I've decided against replying to this as a ban would likely ensue and everyone would tut at my crass comment

Khazak, Uzbek etc

Having never worked abroad before, being a nervous wreck without a wingman, and with an almost pathological dislike of dealing with strangers, how difficult is this likely to be?

My lifetime foreign achievement so far has been to fly to Paris and go for a pint on my own.

If I’m met at the airport, taken to the hotel, picked up for the job, returned to the hotel and taken back to the airport, I may just about cope with it. But if I’m left to arrange any part of it myself, I’m likely to end up wandering around eternally like Marcus Brodie in The Last Crusade.

Anyone worked there before, and if so, how many times did you get ripped off and/or mugged?
Just do it man. What could go wrong.

Khazak, Uzbek etc

My uncle Was in the oil industry in Kazakhstan and I worked on the Caspian Sea on a ship in the late 90s for 6 month. Was canny loads of poverty but the uncle lived in a nice house so was ok. He still lives out there and is married to a much younger kazak woman

If anyone has 5 minutes to read this truly bizarre article on Turkmenistan, then I highly recommend they do so.

If we haven't heard from Dave for a while, it maybe that he has usurped the usurper and become supreme leader of the most bizarre country in the world.
The supreme leader here makes rocket man seem quite sane.

Good luck Dave, if anyone has the qualities to make it there, you do, mate.

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/as...-stranger-in-a-very-strange-land-1814127.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back