Working in prisons

I've done a talk at the Prison Officers Association Conference (get me) and while I was waiting I was listening to some of their stories.
I'm not sure what it would take to pay me enough to work there.

My cousin works in a prison on the admin side. He says on average there are two officers on duty for 50-60 prisoners. Starting pay is about £10.50/hr. I'm currently on the dole but wouldn't do it if they offered me a job tomorrow.

My cousin works in a prison on the admin side. He says on average there are two officers on duty for 50-60 prisoners. Starting pay is about £10.50/hr. I'm currently on the dole but wouldn't do it if they offered me a job tomorrow.

I think this country is sleep walking into a massive issue with jobs like prison officers, police etc. Even nursing and paramedics. The really gritty jobs society can’t function without. Why would anyone want to do that type of work for what is in reality a very poor wage for the work being done and having to do so in poor conditions and working shit unsociable hours. Gone are the days of do your 30 years on decent money and then retire. It will be too late before we realise and we’ll be fucked if we aren’t already.

Aye, he was just a kid himself when that shite was going on in the 70s and 80s
That's a wee bit odd,as it closed down in the 80's............yet you claimed he was a screw & also a kid at that time.
Police believe many of the screws were part of a child sex ring,so if true then many of those who were not.............had to have turned a blind eye.
I saw many a so called clip round the ear in other establishments in the 70's & 80's from those with the keys. Never saw anyone sexually assaulted,but spent time in a handful of places where it was rife..............as I found out in later years when the Police contacted me.
Kids are kids & regardless of their crimes (which in truth didn't have to be a lot to be put away in the 70's & 80's. Unlike today) they should never be abused. Physically & for sure not sexually !!!!
Animals,the lot of those who participated past & present in the crimes of abusing children. Be that in institutions or in any walk of life. That includes your friend & those like yourself who find it comical .. . ..........

I think this country is sleep walking into a massive issue with jobs like prison officers, police etc. Even nursing and paramedics. The really gritty jobs society can’t function without. Why would anyone want to do that type of work for what is in reality a very poor wage for the work being done and having to do so in poor conditions and working shit unsociable hours. Gone are the days of do your 30 years on decent money and then retire. It will be too late before we realise and we’ll be fucked if we aren’t already.

The redundancy package (VEDS) and the introduction of Fair and Sustainable in 2012 absolutely destroyed the prison service.

That's a wee bit odd,as it closed down in the 80's............yet you claimed he was a screw & also a kid at that time.
Police believe many of the screws were part of a child sex ring,so if true then many of those who were not.............had to have turned a blind eye.
I saw many a so called clip round the ear in other establishments in the 70's & 80's from those with the keys. Never saw anyone sexually assaulted,but spent time in a handful of places where it was rife..............as I found out in later years when the Police contacted me.
Kids are kids & regardless of their crimes (which in truth didn't have to be a lot to be put away in the 70's & 80's. Unlike today) they should never be abused. Physically & for sure not sexually !!!!
Animals,the lot of those who participated past & present in the crimes of abusing children. Be that in institutions or in any walk of life. That includes your friend & those like yourself who find it comical .. . ..........
It opened again in the 00s. Its where they put the refugee women now

Last edited:
Even with doctors it's mental. Got mates who are dentists and doctors, the dentists are on triple figures whilst the doctor is on about a third of that. I know which sounds harder too...

Surprised why anybody would consider this as a career these days
Money is shite for what you need to do like. Looks grim.
Our lass is a copper. Applied for her current role and took her 3 times to get her role. 10+ applicants each time. This was five or six year ago. One of her colleagues are leaving the role and they can not get a single applicant.Jobs fucked.

Last edited:
Money is shite for what you need to do like. Looks grim.

Our lass is a copper. Applied for her current role and took her 3 times to get her role. 10+ applicants each time. This was five or six year ago. One of her colleagues are leaving the role and they can not get a single applicant.Jobs fucked.
Durham police used to close down applications as way too many applications, not sure what it is like these days. Always appealed to me as do your shift and go type work but thought it may not be that easy tbh.

Durham police used to close down applications as way too many applications, not sure what it is like these days. Always appealed to me as do your shift and go type work but thought it may not be that easy tbh.
This is an internal job application for existing officers. It definitely isn't do your shift and go like. Our lass has done 3 18 hours shifts in the last month. Causes mayhem now we have kids.

This is an internal job application for existing officers. It definitely isn't do your shift and go like. Our lass has done 3 18 hours shifts in the last month. Causes mayhem now we have kids.
Yeah I bet, assuming she gets 18 hours pay though? Although with childcare costs/availability that is of little comfort. If the kids are stuck completely you have to go, if not you'd stay and work when serving the public.

Yeah I bet, assuming she gets 18 hours pay though? Although with childcare costs/availability that is of little comfort. If the kids are stuck completely you have to go, if not you'd stay and work when serving the public.
Something daft like the first hours overtime is free then time and a third after that. I work shifts aswell and finish at 1am so regularly come in from work and have to wake her dad up who is asleep on my sofa after looking after our kids then bringing them to ours to put them to bed at ours.

Something daft like the first hours overtime is free then time and a third after that. I work shifts aswell and finish at 1am so regularly come in from work and have to wake her dad up who is asleep on my sofa after looking after our kids then bringing them to ours to put them to bed at ours.
Tough going that mate. I'd be pushing to do as little overtime as possible but know circumstances will often not allow. Big expectation when both parents do shifts.

Tough going that mate. I'd be pushing to do as little overtime as possible but know circumstances will often not allow. Big expectation when both parents do shifts.
We are lucky to have a good support network. She was a response copper before we had kids and the overtime was more often and alot more short notice and it used to piss me off but didn't really matter other than me and her spending time together. Didn't really consider the impact of having kids on it at the time. Would be knackered without her mam, dad and sisters pulling us out of the shit at times.

Back