Working from home

stick them all in the utilita arena. With a laptop cushion

That’s actually one of the possible locations, I understand. Well when they build office space at that site when it closes.

The HMRC move has nowt to do with COVID mind. Been on the cards for years, and just been waiting for the lease to run out on the current place. Pretty much all the provincial offices in the entire country have closed over the last 5 years and consolidated into regional hubs in the major cities. Think they generally work at 6 desks for every 10 people.

Read an article last week how the clamour for home working may make it easier for companies to replace staff and make cut backs

Read an article last week how the clamour for home working may make it easier for companies to replace staff and make cut backs
It will no doubt. though I reckon the furloughing of staff and seeing how they have performed with reduced numbers would have more to do with it.

Potentially though good news for areas like ours. With moves to online work companies could look to offer the kind of salaries available up here rather than down south.
It's certainly opened up the contractor market for me. The job I have now would have been Bristol/Swindon based pre-covid but I'm 100% remote on it.

Heard it all before and that potential has always been there. On the flip side it'll also allow companies to save shit loads on property/rent, have a wider talent pool available to them and to employ more people as they are no longer restricted by premises size/desk space.

You can also tell some big players are shitting it :lol:

Last edited:
Boss announced at the end of a day in the office yesterday that even after he moves to Oxford, we are unlikely to have more than 10 days a month in the office.

Suits me just fine, because Mrs. Jonno is clamouring for a move to South Hampshire in the next two years.

As 'working from home' ... or 'required to work from home' are now regularly used phrases within on-line services, customer service chat options, on introductory telephone customer service options etc... as an excuse for being incompetent and delivering shite customer service I expect it will continue for a very long time and will become the normal mode of working for any large organisation that provides any form of customer service, problem solving or complaints department.

seen draft memo stating we will be asked to go back 3 days a week once restrictions lifted late july , and then have to ask for "permisison" if want to work home the other 2 days per week

We are having a company-wide consultation on the "future of work" to come up with guidelines of how, where and when we work. I'm fairly sceptical as these consultations are usually done when they already know what answer they want.

I would be happy to go back 2-3 days a week. There are some things you can get done better with a few people around a whiteboard than endless emails and powerpoints. Air conditioning would be nice on a day like this. I'm not too keen on hotdesking as I've never worked in an office where the system worked. It always takes an age to get setup in the morning, you never know where to find anyone and nobody bothers reporting any problems with equipment. The office management team are talking about having a desk booking system. We'll have to see how that works.

Any word in the UK about people who get London/city weighting but live out of the city? I heard on the news this morning that some companies in NYC might be looking at whether people who were hired and negotiated weighting for things like travel, tolls, out of state tax, higher cost of lunch, etc can justify it if they are now choosing to WFH

Any word in the UK about people who get London/city weighting but live out of the city? I heard on the news this morning that some companies in NYC might be looking at whether people who were hired and negotiated weighting for things like travel, tolls, out of state tax, higher cost of lunch, etc can justify it if they are now choosing to WFH

Not heard anything in the UK but enforced pay cuts are already happening in the US as office workers flee expensive cities such as NYC, San Francisco and Boston. Of course employment law in the US is much less restrictive when it comes to changes in terms and conditions. The legal process here would be more complex. Keeping the higher salary and working from home may be ideal but it's hard to justify.

We all have smartphones.
Last year we had a security advisory to disable email functionality temporarily due to a threat.
I never put my email back on afterwards.
Nothings changed.

Get the work/life balance right, that's all you have to do.

It will no doubt. though I reckon the furloughing of staff and seeing how they have performed with reduced numbers would have more to do with it.

Potentially though good news for areas like ours. With moves to online work companies could look to offer the kind of salaries available up here rather than down south.
It's certainly opened up the contractor market for me. The job I have now would have been Bristol/Swindon based pre-covid but I'm 100% remote on it.
Come on. You know how this works by now.

They won’t bring up the wage up north but reduce it in the south to match the north

Back