Working from home

I took a new job in April and it's fully remote so I won't be returning. Guess they might ask me to attend workshops and stuff in the future but I think it's a good while off. More than half of the people working on the project I'm on have never met each other in person. So it's mostly the norm for this project.

Just started a new job this week, fortunately they are of the mindset that people need to be face to face to train so that’ll be the case from the start of next month, the idea of long term training from home was filling me with dread.

Not like they've got a massive self interest in getting people into City offices.

Can see a massive move towards a mix of home/office working and not just for the next 2 years.
Expect retention problems for companies not offering this.
think you're right , it will be 50/50 IMO

If I was so busy that was having to send e-mails at 9 or 10pm, i'd be looking for a new job tbh. I noticed one in my inbox this morning that was sent close to 11pm!

I get the flexibility point, but even if that's genuinely the case just put a timer on the e-mail so it automatically sends first thing the next day. Same with people who send e-mails on Saturdays and Sundays etc.
Yeah our chief exec was pushing the timed send thing to take pressure off people feeling that they had to respond when those type of mails arrived.
I don't like to have many unread I must say, keep on top of them and might even print some off or flag or put in a folder but at least I can see clearly what needs done and what is new.
Lad at our place always had about 400 unread I could never understand how he knew which were important or urgent
While we're on the subject, has anyone else gone back to the office yet? We're back in on Monday. We've all had at least one jab now so I think our bosses are ready to risk it. I'm ready for the crack again but not the commute.
Was in half a day 2 weeks ago tied in with a couple of site visits.
Might do the same next week if it's beneficial.
No pressure from work though they have been sound tbh.

Last edited:
I'm getting to the end of my tether working from home, I don't have much of a social life so I can slowly feel my social skills disappearing and feel anxious around people now (not due to any fear of infection or anything, I'm just not used to it anymore). We're going to work part time from home once we're allowed to return to the office and I think that'll be a good balance but we don't even have a speculative date for returning to the office yet.

Can understand. I suffer from social anxiety anyway to an extent so this will only make things worse.

Can understand. I suffer from social anxiety anyway to an extent so this will only make things worse.
Same here, I won't get the Metro to work until I've had my second jab and will drive to work in the meantime. We're in for a week at a time, half the team one week, the rest the next. It's been ok and good seeing the lads but definitely prefer working from home.

HMRC on the move. They'll not get a building anywhere near as big as the current. Not that they need it as they've moved into a new hybrid working approach so only ever have half in.
Unlikely I'll ever be back in an office on a regular basis again. We're looking at a couple of places (Cloth Market/Quayside) next week for short-term rentals as and when required.
Yeah same with our lot.

Said before our lot were told no more office work but we managed to get an agreement we could come in for the odd meeting where appropriate, depending on room availability.

Last edited:
HMRC on the move. They'll not get a building anywhere near as big as the current. Not that they need it as they've moved into a new hybrid working approach so only ever have half in.

Saw that in the Chronic and was wondering where the hell in Central Newcastle they’ll find space for 6.5k people :lol:

Makes sense if not everyone is going back permanently.

It depends on the nature of your employment- some elements of self employed people could miss out on work if they go incommunicado after normal working hours.

And normal working hours are different depending on what your work is.

A musician works very different hours to an accountant.

Back