Working from home

Funny enough, I've been back in the office a lot recently and today im working from home. I have to say i'm getting much more "admin" done at home than I can in the office - perhaps its a Friday and its a bit quieter so i'm not getting disturbed as much as I do when i'm on site.

Going back to the old out of hours stuff, in my previous firm I was on the key contact list (still am now) so I had to have a phone number readily accessible at any time to be contacted on. We were right in the middle of a big move project for our central London office and we had an ex managing partner acting as the moves partner. Well he was at a certain stage in life where he woke in the middle of the night - around 2 or 3 am and he used to hammer e-mail messages out then about the project. Of course I had my work mobile as my key contact phone which I kept by my bedside so couldn't put it on mute, well of course it used to bing with messages until I stopped the notification sounds on it:D :oops:. My current firm we just switch off so no probs there.
Mind you I used to get some weird calls in the middle of the night. One was from a well known political family who had a member who kept getting into brushes with the law. The firm I worked for were their family business solicitors but not their criminal ones, but I had more than one call out of desperation from them in the middled of the night. They were ever so nice in their plummy accents when they were waking you up at 2 or 3 am:D

Last edited:

An nda on whatsapp chat unless it pertains to ip or customer or confidential info wouldn't spend 30 seconds in court.
Thanks for that info, appreciate it. He tried to sue me for libel that I sent via whatsapp to staff when I left, I told them what a disgrace he was. Mind I do have screenshots of some utterly disgusting things he said that he definitely does not want public.
generally not worth the paper they are written on, but it's a ballache to get it overturned in a court.

I got one overturned a long time ago because i blew the whistle on supplier fraud and corruption at a quango up here. Nasty business and can't blame anyone for keeping their head down instead.
Yeah it is not ideal. The bloke I worked for had NDA's and also some contract drawn up that meant he owned people's facebook accounts to a degree, so if they ever realised he is not what he portrays on social media, they can't then post it and advise to join rival companies. Some is clever I suppose but not sure how that would work out in court, sure Zuckerberg would not want people having contracts that closes accounts amongst each other.

Last edited:
Thanks for that info, appreciate it. He tried to sue me for libel that I sent via whatsapp to staff when I left, I told them what a disgrace he was. Mind I do have screenshots of some utterly disgusting things he said that he definitely does not want public.

Yeah it is not ideal. The bloke I worked for had NDA's and also some contract drawn up that meant he owned people's facebook accounts to a degree, so if they ever realised he is not what he portrays on social media, they can't then post it and advise to join rival companies. Some is clever I suppose but not sure how that would work out in court, sure Zuckerberg would not want people having contracts that closes accounts amongst each other.
If you reminded him of that fact things would go away quickly

While we're on the subject, has anyone else gone back to the office yet? We're back in on Monday. We've all had at least one jab now so I think our bosses are ready to risk it. I'm ready for the crack again but not the commute.

While we're on the subject, has anyone else gone back to the office yet? We're back in on Monday. We've all had at least one jab now so I think our bosses are ready to risk it. I'm ready for the crack again but not the commute.
Yup. Been back on and off since July

Been in a day and a half in the four month since I started. Was nice to meet a few people I'd only seen on video calls, but there was hardly anyone in.

As far as I know we're moving offices in the next couple of months. Bit further away, bit more traffic to deal with. Can't see it making me want to go in more.

I was considering going back to the office one day a week. But there are a couple of the network people in all the time as they need to be onsite. I seem to spend a lot of my time in video meetings, so if I go in it will be disturbing for them. I could go to a meeting room by myself, but then it feels pointless heading in to sit in a meeting room by myself to talk to remote people. The cycle in would do me some good like.

My ex boss is on here, if you are reading, give people some time off and stop them being your slave. I remember my ex boss threatening people with the sack at like 7am on whatsapp, employees were so scared one of them nearly vomitted when they seen him kicking off once in group work chat.
Are you going to name who it is then, so we can them give some stick :cool:

Bliddy piss head
Joys of home working - had me phone with me checking e-mails so no bother. First Friday I have worked from home when I have had all of my team back from furlough, so could take a bit of a back seat and watch. Went out with the missus and met her cousin for a couple. The missus is now flat out asleep on the setttee after 5 vodka and oranges :D Happy days - peace and quiet.

Joys of home working - had me phone with me checking e-mails so no bother. First Friday I have worked from home when I have had all of my team back from furlough, so could take a bit of a back seat and watch. Went out with the missus and met her cousin for a couple. The missus is now flat out asleep on the setttee after 5 vodka and oranges :D Happy days - peace and quiet.
One advantage with working from home becoming more common, is it doesn’t have to be your home.

We are going through a restructure and the next phase of stuff is going to be announced in a few weeks, but it has been in a few weeks for months. When it happens, as a team manager, I’m expected to be there in a meeting with my team talking through the various aspects of it. I’ve just been planning what time to take off in August. If it is the same time, I’ll just take my laptop with me, sign into work for a day or half day, then get back on with my holiday,

While it is crap being interrupted like that, I’d probably be looking at something on a Wednesday thinking it would wipe out the whole week as a time I could not book leave.

Back