Working from home

My mate was that sick of people getting in touch after work hours he bought a new Nokia 3310.

Before he got it, it was all Teams chats, whatapp messages, installing company apps etc
Now if anyone asks him to install stuff like that for "Emergency out of hours" reasons, he just hands them the Nokia and says be my guest.

He tells them he prefers it retro funky styling.

... he still has an iphone tucked away like

I'm contracted to work any 8 hours between 7am and 10pm which works some days and less on others. I can be pretty much entirely flexible if I have an appointment or want to pick the kids up from school but I don't control my diary completely so if I need to have a call with Australia or West Coast US then I can't complain.

Prefer it this way than a rigid 9-5 type setup, though in reality I work substantially (20% ish) more hours per week than my contract states.
20%? If you work 5 days a week you're saying you're actually doing a 6th day for free - or rather no extra pay.

I do this. Write it on my ooo. Any messages will not be read. In my absence please contact xyz
It’s a very French approach. I like their email regulations anarl.

But fundamentally it’s down to company culture. We’ve massively shifted from work to well-being over lockdown which has been very welcome.
I prefer WFH. Have a young daughter so can rearrange my day within reason to suit - doing a lot of work on an evening this week as it’s half term, but do a lot of work early morning and during school hours normally so we can spend time together after school. Works fine for me, people need to learn to switch off though. Working longer doesn’t make you more efficient - I could do 30 or 50 hours this week and I’d probably still get the same stuff done. I’d just slack off more if I had longer, play on my phone more, have more breaks, get distracted by more things, etc
Parkinson’s Law.

One of the things I have found since going part time is that I am much more efficient because I have the same amount of work to do in fewer hours.

Last edited:
Do you feel the pay is enough for 45-50 hour weeks?

I feel very lucky to get paid what I get paid in the North East but that isn't the defining factor to how much effort I put in.

In my mind I offset the flexibility of being able to finish early on a Friday or nip out when I feel like it with the cost of working a few hours extra to get my work delivered.

Might be different if I was lower paid and I don't expect anyone in my team to replicate what I do (some do, some don't) but I'm happy enough with the setup.

It’s a very French approach. I like their email regulations anarl.

But fundamentally it’s down to company culture. We’ve massively shifted from work to well-being over lockdown which has been very welcome.

Parkinson’s Law.

One of the things I have found since going part time is that I am much more efficient because I have the same amount of work to do in fewer hours.
We also have the mandatory 2 week rule so I steer clear of firm devices and I'm sure as shit not reading thick end of 5000 emails on my return

Mate of mine goes on holiday and when he comes backs deletes all emails received in his time off

Either its important and they will re raise issue or theyve figured it out.

Definitely a different approach...

Personally, i have an old shitty phone with giff gaff sim. Thats my works number. After 5pm its on silent and you can sodding wait

I do exactly the same mate. If it’s important someone will bring it up soon enough.

What you also have these days though, with people working from home, is normal hours aren't the same. So sometimes due to childcare reasons or something I might need to log back on and do stuff on a night. I'm not being a twat sending messages then it's just my part of the day.
Twat

The tears are starting. Get your arses back in the office then, or just switch off :cool:
Can try as much as they like but some bosses are bullies and some organisations are culturally awful.

People need to grow a pair of balls or find another job. No amount of legislation will stop a bully if the punter allows it.

Hope you are okay Cat. These things take time.
oh I'm really not, WFH has allowed me to really bury it and the thought of going back to work has me kind of panicking, I've got comfortable wallowing in it
so I think I'll take some time off, sort my flat out and get my head straight, then going back to the office will be a good thing for me

thanks though x

Just turn your laptop off and don’t have work email coming on to your personal devices.

People are free to email me but I won’t see them until I start again the following day.
Same. As a contractor I accept the hours are longer, but I have free reign to read/act upon/ignore any emails that come in after 6pm. Up to me if I want to log on and take care of a quick task at 8pm if it's fresh in my mind

Said it before, a home is to live in, not work in.
I agree. But it seems like working from home is going to be a thing now.

I'm off work today but feel like I have to not go in the kitchen unless I really need to because my wife is working in there. Feel cut off from part of where I live.

With all the mental health and well being issues right at the top of the agenda , I think we ve seen the last days of the bullying boss or over demanding companies.

They ve finally woken up to the fact that the vast majority of people do a great job in the allotted time and happy cows give more milk.

Not before time . There’s plenty of lawsuits flying about whereby overwork and pressure have left companies in a very bad light - some even being hit by boycotting products due to their behaviour.

We also have the mandatory 2 week rule so I steer clear of firm devices and I'm sure as shit not reading thick end of 5000 emails on my return
I manage that process for the relevant teams in our gaff. Because it’s regulatory, they’re fine with it, but I’ve been keen for a while to bring it in for everyone else for well-being reasons but there was such a massive pushback that I haven’t. They say they can’t possibly be away from emails for two weeks, but of course their markets colleagues have to. People are just scared of change.

Back