Working from home

I log off all my work devices when I finish for the day and don't think about it until I log on the next morning. I'm annoyed that I was added onto a team WhatsApp chat on my personal phone but I just have that muted.
I've done all the long hours in the past and you're no more productive. It's all about being seen to be working and for your managers to be able to show the team are working long hours.
If you can't do your work in your allocated hours, there is a problem. Either with you not being efficient enough or your workload is too great. Either way it needs to be addressed.
I could have written this same post entirely

5pm or 6pm? Real gadgies finish at 4.30pm and earlier on Friday!

It depends what time I start or how long I take off for dinner.
Some start at 7.30am then get away early. I tend to start a bit later, so finish a bit later.

Surely some of this is just about being an adult and taking responsibility? Logging on before breakfast was an example... Just don't do it, surely?

At times I work more hours than I should but part of the job I think. Saying that, I rarely send emails at some of the times I work, tend to just save them for the morning. Flexible working is key imo.

What you also have these days though, with people working from home, is normal hours aren't the same. So sometimes due to childcare reasons or something I might need to log back on and do stuff on a night. I'm not being a twat sending messages then it's just my part of the day.

Has its advantages and disadvantages. I roll out of bed and log on rather than drive in. No parking to pay for. The last few days have been nice to just pop outside for 5mins in the sun rather than walking round an office. Can get to the gym for half 3 before it gets busy and log back on for an hour later if needed.

Do miss that transition from work into home though. But, as I say, the gym is good for that.

Occasionally doing a bit work out hours is unavoidable but I don't make a habit of it. If waiting until tomorrow to do a 5 minute job is going to inconvenience someone else then I'd rather just get it done.

Ah, the culture of "Face Time", you are correct definitely not more productive.

I had a boss who always challenged staff who were in the office endlessly, he would ask "are you inefficient" the answer would of course be "no" then you must be overworked, so "keep a detailed work diary for a month, and we can then review it and see what tasks we can take away from you". Only had to do that once, people sharp switched on that they were not going to be rewarded just for "being there".

The flip side of that is often workloads are high, capacity low and funding for new posts unavailable. Especially public sector work.

Doing that will work in some places I’m sure but in some places I’ve worked previously, there simply isn’t the chance of someone else taking your workload. I wish I could have magicked up an assistant but that requires money.

Mate of mine goes on holiday and when he comes backs deletes all emails received in his time off

Either its important and they will re raise issue or theyve figured it out.

Definitely a different approach...

Personally, i have an old shitty phone with giff gaff sim. Thats my works number. After 5pm its on silent and you can sodding wait

The flip side of that is often workloads are high, capacity low and funding for new posts unavailable. Especially public sector work.

Doing that will work in some places I’m sure but in some places I’ve worked previously, there simply isn’t the chance of someone else taking your workload. I wish I could have magicked up an assistant but that requires money.
I take your point, but, it was the top man who was concerned. One of his mantras was "I don't want staff to work hard, I want them to work smart" he would always try to do things in a different way if it would save time or effort and that can be attempted anywhere.

I don't agree with management acknowledging and accepting that staff are overworked and then not attempt to do anything to address it.

I'm contracted to work any 8 hours between 7am and 10pm which works some days and less on others. I can be pretty much entirely flexible if I have an appointment or want to pick the kids up from school but I don't control my diary completely so if I need to have a call with Australia or West Coast US then I can't complain.

Prefer it this way than a rigid 9-5 type setup, though in reality I work substantially (20% ish) more hours per week than my contract states.

Mate of mine goes on holiday and when he comes backs deletes all emails received in his time off

Personally, i have an old shitty phone with giff gaff sim. Thats my works number. After 5pm its on silent and you can sodding wait
I do this. Write it on my ooo. Any messages will not be read. In my absence please contact xyz

I prefer WFH. Have a young daughter so can rearrange my day within reason to suit - doing a lot of work on an evening this week as it’s half term, but do a lot of work early morning and during school hours normally so we can spend time together after school. Works fine for me, people need to learn to switch off though. Working longer doesn’t make you more efficient - I could do 30 or 50 hours this week and I’d probably still get the same stuff done. I’d just slack off more if I had longer, play on my phone more, have more breaks, get distracted by more things, etc

What you also have these days though, with people working from home, is normal hours aren't the same. So sometimes due to childcare reasons or something I might need to log back on and do stuff on a night. I'm not being a twat sending messages then it's just my part of the day.
As I think the article mentions, there are probably slightly opposing views depending on your circumstances. If you have young kids you might find doing a couple of hours on an evening allows you to better organise things for them during the day. Personally, I have to dialyse for 4 hours every other day and rather than do it later in the day when I might be tired and more likely to make mistakes, I'll do it earlier while basically just keeping an eye on e-mails, Teams calls, etc. and then do more concentrated work between 5-9pm.

Trying to introduce some form of restrictions would, realistically, have to be agreed on an individual basis. If I send an e-mail out at 7.30pm I don't particularly expect an immediate reply although sometimes I'll get one at 9.30pm from colleagues who have young family. It's really just about finding the right balance for employee and employer.

Last edited:
I let my lot work hours to suit them, if they want to start at 6am and finish at 2, thats fine, similar if a 9am to 5pm shift suits them better, thats fine too - anyone working after about 7pm gets a word in their ear from me.

I don’t think you can put things in law without removing flexibility. But even if people are mostly office based, now working from home is common and possible, there is the danger that work will follow them home. I think there perhaps should be a code of conduct that is pushed from the top about where work ends.

At my place, staff are contracted for 35 hours a week and that is it. I tell them they don’t have to do any more. If they want to do a few more hours to finish a job, it will be appreciated, but log time in lieu and take time off later. Nobody should do more than 5 hours extra per week. It is rare that I work after 5 on a Friday or on a weekend. If for some reason I do and need to send a mail about changes or issues, I often put “Do not read this or respond before Monday morning”. None of my team are skivers so should never feel pressured to work. If someone looks like they are doing loads outside normal hours, I’ll often have a word about shutting off

I think more companies should do the same. Burn out or just not shutting off is not healthy and lowers moral and productivity. If you want the best out of your staff, the number one thing is respect them and their lives outside work. If there is too much work for them to do on a regular basis then it is the fault of the management for being too ambitious for the resources available. You can’t go way over budget with hard cash, you shouldn’t with peoples time. If you want on call for regular but urgent issues, you have to pay for it. Our place says people may be called for an exceptional emergency, but everyone has the right to say no if they are busy, or not answer at all.

I like his style.

Back