Working from home

I've been doing it 18 months now and really enjoy it. I do miss the day to day laugh in the office with my team, not quite the same over a Teams chat.

We all meet up in the main office down south once a month and go out for food and beers so that helps.

I find I'm more productive at home, without distractions from other people wanting your help or to do other things.

My office is over the other side of the house, so separated from the kitchen, living room etc so at the end of the day I feel like I'm away from work. I'm strict with myself in sticking to the hours I should work as well and not doing additional work because it's easy access.

Working away is better....

Nice hotel, new restaurants and pubs to explore, a reasonable expense account and the wife doesnt expect anything more than a phone call.

Been on 4 on 4 off since January and I wouldnt change it for the world!

I've been doing it 18 months now and really enjoy it. I do miss the day to day laugh in the office with my team, not quite the same over a Teams chat.

We all meet up in the main office down south once a month and go out for food and beers so that helps.

I find I'm more productive at home, without distractions from other people wanting your help or to do other things.

My office is over the other side of the house, so separated from the kitchen, living room etc so at the end of the day I feel like I'm away from work. I'm strict with myself in sticking to the hours I should work as well and not doing additional work because it's easy access.

Good stuff, thats important.

When I started I found I was often doing extra hours because I was so efficient without distractions, but you have to cut it off at some point and say enough is enough, good discipline needed.

If you really think that you need to get rid of that employee.

On the second point no, the contracts need to be worked out well for WFH, it really does work, for the employee and for the company.
Your point in bold. How do you performance / discipline that when they're working from home? It's a minefield doing it as it is. Of course you need to get rid of that person, but you can't sack someone easily because of their mindset without "managing them out of the business".

You don't seem to be acknowledging that there is any problem at all with moving to this way of working across the board, is that your view?

If you really think that you need to get rid of that employee.

On the second point no, the contracts need to be worked out well for WFH, it really does work, for the employee and for the company.
Do you see a benefit in junior employees being in the company of experienced employees, and learning through observation of their work how to improve? Surely that's a point you can agree is in the positives for working in an office / team environment?

Working from home is not "work" ffs,simple as that ...
Now I disagree that's how it would be for me - but it's a case in point that @FootballFan needs to address. In his world I should sack you (if hypothetically you worked in my business). Is that right, FF?

Last edited:
Your point in bold. How do you performance / discipline that when they're working from home? It's a minefield doing it as it is. Of course you need to get rid of that person, but you can't sack someone easily because of their mindset without "managing them out of the business".

You don't seem to be acknowledging that there is any problem at all with moving to this way of working across the board, is that your view?

I would say that if you have that view of the employee he should not be working for home or even in the company. Maybe I am harsh, some juniors can work well in an office, but working for home is for responsible proven employees who have shown they can deliver.

Do you see a benefit in junior employees being in the company of experienced employees, and learning through observation of their work how to improve? Surely that's a point you can agree is in the positives for working in an office / team environment?

Now I disagree that's how it would be for me - but it's a case in point that @FootballFan needs to address. In his world I should sack you (if hypothetically you worked in my business). Is that right, FF?
Your graft and my graft are different believe me ...i can tell.

Your graft and my graft are different believe me ...i can tell.
I don't know what you mean & would bet decent money that without secretly knowing me you have no idea what I do, or the amount of effort or time I put into it. I think it's difficult to say you can tell but by all means make that assumption.

Absolutely, working from home is not for juniors.

You sound like a bit of a skiver, what is the point of being online if when people ask you stuff you are out the back garden?

I work from home two days a week now btw and going well so far, its a big change but find I get more done over-all.

I have the laptop with me - usually I’m on top of everything and there’s not much pressing.

Back