Working from home

Class - just sit in the garden on nice days sorting stuff out.

Nee commuting is also mint.

Auto emails and changing Skype settings to always online is also a canny manoeuvre :cool:

I wfh all the time and I love it. I think it depends what your boss is like. Mine doesn't check my Skype status etc. So today I fucked off to the beach for a few hours. I'll make some of the time up tonight and the rest tomorrow. I think having the trust of your manager and the flexibility that goes with it makes all the difference

Class - just sit in the garden on nice days sorting stuff out.

Nee commuting is also mint.

Auto emails and changing Skype settings to always online is also a canny manoeuvre :cool:

You sound like a bit of a skiver, what is the point of being online if when people ask you stuff you are out the back garden?

I work from home two days a week now btw and going well so far, its a big change but find I get more done over-all.

My line manager was actively encouraging me to do it more often today :lol: I never do it!
I think the idea of having a team who have to come into the office while their manager works from home is bollocks.

I put pressure on myself to get in before them and set the bar. I guess it depends on how invested you are in your employer - I am with mine but if I worked for a big corporate then maybe I’d take the piss too.

My line manager was actively encouraging me to do it more often today :lol: I never do it!
I think the idea of having a team who have to come into the office while their manager works from home is bollocks.

I put pressure on myself to get in before them and set the bar. I guess it depends on how invested you are in your employer - I am with mine but if I worked for a big corporate then maybe I’d take the piss too.

Your team should be working from home, thats the point.

Your team should be working from home, thats the point.
I do see the long term vision for that, and buy into it. I’d love nothing more, to be fair. Then I would still go into the office and be available to them if they wanted to come in.

But it’s simply not the case businesses can actually do this at the moment, performance would go through the floor.

You can say well that is shoddy hiring and culture development, but getting that right is very difficult.

I do see the long term vision for that, and buy into it. I’d love nothing more, to be fair. Then I would still go into the office and be available to them if they wanted to come in.

But it’s simply not the case businesses can actually do this at the moment, performance would go through the floor.

You can say well that is shoddy hiring and culture development, but getting that right is very difficult.

Why? Our team are working 2 days a week from home and performance has never been better, why do you think going into the office will help? Its all negative - commute time, more breaks, etc.

Trust me working from home is simply more productive and more efficient.

I actually don't agree with regularly working form home, at least not for myself. I work better at work. If it works for others, fair enough.

It's okay for family emergencies or if childcare means you need to be at home for a couple of hours a week or a bairn is ill, but at home there'd be too many distractions form me.

I tried it once and found instead I was away for the day with mates when they called one Friday morning. Checking the phone every so often was enough to ensure the boss thought I was at home, then I lost a Sunday trying to catch up with all the stuff my boss thought I was doing.

I never tried again and in the end I was partially honest with my boss about there being "distractions".

The boss on my last day told me I'd been seen (given I was miles away, how???) but as the work had got done, he wasn't too bothered and decided to do nothing about it. He was pissing himself when he told me and appreciated the fact I'd said it didn't work for me.

I actually don't agree with regularly working form home, at least not for myself. I work better at work. If it works for others, fair enough.

It's okay for family emergencies or if childcare means you need to be at home for a couple of hours a week or a bairn is ill, but at home there'd be too many distractions form me.

I tried it once and found instead I was away for the day with mates when they called one Friday morning. Checking the phone every so often was enough to ensure the boss thought I was at home, then I lost a Sunday trying to catch up with all the stuff my boss thought I was doing.

I never tried again and in the end I was partially honest with my boss about there being "distractions".

The boss on my last day told me I'd been seen (given I was miles away, how???) but as the work had got done, he wasn't too bothered and decided to do nothing about it. He was pissing himself when he told me and appreciated the fact I'd said it didn't work for me.

you complete muppet, obviously if you are incapable of organising your time then its not for you. It works best for senior efficient people who know what they are doing.

Why? Our team are working 2 days a week from home and performance has never been better, why do you think going into the office will help? Its all negative - commute time, more breaks, etc.

Trust me working from home is simply more productive and more efficient.
I don’t doubt it. We are talking about something which is such a huge mental shift in the way we live..and which is clearly desirable! I’m not against it, but it’s compliacted.

I can see my team members commitment to the task at hand in their eyes at work, I can see how they act over the course of a day...now you can say well they’d be better at home, but I would say if I gave X employee a day working from home, with the attitude they’ve got, he would take the piss and see it as holiday.

Understand for me I am on your side, but not all staff are going to do what your team is doing so well and it is a nightmare to manage.

What would you do with an employee who has served notice for example? Say 3 months worth & had another job lined up. Let him work from home too?

I don’t doubt it. We are talking about something which is such a huge mental shift in the way we live..and which is clearly desirable! I’m not against it, but it’s compliacted.

I can see my team members commitment to the task at hand in their eyes at work, I can see how they act over the course of a day...now you can say well they’d be better at home, but I would say if I gave X employee a day working from home, with the attitude they’ve got, he would take the piss and see it as holiday.

Understand for me I am on your side, but not all staff are going to do what your team is doing so well and it is a nightmare to manage.

What would you do with an employee who has served notice for example? Say 3 months worth & had another job lined up. Let him work from home too?

If you really think that you need to get rid of that employee.

On the second point no, the contracts need to be worked out well for WFH, it really does work, for the employee and for the company.

Back