Working from home

• Thread starter Deleted member 34491
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate it. End up working much harder and longer hours than you would in the office.

Hate the lack of boundaries too. Kids, missus and dog all interrupting calls. Requests to drop things at the tip, do this and that.

Anyone know how to make this work better?

Man the fuck up, I reckon.

The missus is away with kids at The moment so if I work fron home next week I could go all day without speaking to someone.

I reckon the majority of people who claim they work from home because they are more productive are talking out of their hole. It's because you can skive easier.

I definitely get work done sooner. Don't have to drive anywhere, faff around setting my desk up (locked laptops, clear desk policy etc), don't have to say hello to anyone, don't get asked stuff as often.

I certainly feel less productive though.

Becs is right. Shut the door and remind them that you have a job. Or tell them that you'll be on teleconferences all day long then shut the door, take a nap on the futon and catch up on a few re runs of Mad Men, (whose protagonist does likewise re taking a nap at work!)

AB22 told me he knew a bloke who built an office in his garden shed and every day would 'leave' for work in suit and tie with briefcase to walk fifty feet up the back garden path. Nice commute!:D
Yep.

I work from home, I run my little company from there. I just close the office door so no one interrupts me. Also have a bit of classical music in the background. Works a treat for me.

I put in longer hours that when i was in an office environment but I manage to stay focused.

Oh, and I make sure I take a break every three or four hours, either to eat, potter in the garden or take the pup for a walk.

It was AB22 really, wasn't it! :lol:
No you twat, it wasn't.:lol::lol:

I could be making this up but sure someone told me they literally treat it like going to office.

Get up
Suit on
Into the dedicated office
Door closed
Set breaks
Then once out door was closed until next day

!
That's the way to do it, for me anyway

Last edited:
As I can't stand my commute and I probably could do the vast majority of my work from home, I'm looking forward to the time when I can say, I'd like to work from home - even for a couple of days a week. That would do

It's not really done in my new job but it was very common in my old place.

My advice would be to make sure you have a room to yourself, and to keep the tv off.

I quite liked it at times because there was no commute, you would get peace to get on with stuff and you didn't need to iron as many shirts but on the other hand it was more difficult to do some things on the laptop than a big screen, amd some things are just easier with everyone in the same place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back