Working from home

• Thread starter Deleted member 34491
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
i have to constantly tell the other half and previously my parents that just because im in the house does not mean im not working

a desk and chair in a room with a lockable door was the only solution for me

AB22 told me he knew a bloke who built an office in his garden shed and every day would 'leave' for work in suit and tie with briefcase to walk fifty feet up the back garden path. Nice commute!:D
It was AB22 really, wasn't it! :lol:

A good while back I was starting a job that required some home working, administrative stuff mainly, and a lot of driving also.
Had took my boy to football training one Saturday morning and was stood at the side talking to one of the other dads, nice bloke, from London but living up here. Was telling him about my new job prospects as I'd heard him say a couple of weeks before that he still had same job he had in London, but now had an office in his house. Never forget his views on homeworking when I told him I was gonna be doing some, "Yeah its alright working from home, doesn't half make your cock sore though"
Spat my coffee all over :)

Hate it. End up working much harder and longer hours than you would in the office.

Hate the lack of boundaries too. Kids, missus and dog all interrupting calls. Requests to drop things at the tip, do this and that.

Anyone know how to make this work better?

I could be making this up but sure someone told me they literally treat it like going to office.

Get up
Suit on
Into the dedicated office
Door closed
Set breaks
Then once out door was closed until next day

I sat on the couch in my duds personally!

Hate it. End up working much harder and longer hours than you would in the office.

Hate the lack of boundaries too. Kids, missus and dog all interrupting calls. Requests to drop things at the tip, do this and that.

Anyone know how to make this work better?
I did this for 13 years for The Home Office and then the MOJ.

In the end i found an office to work in on the government estate ie a probation office, HMCTS or a prison office to work from. It sounds great in principle but eventually you get fed up of not seeing people and the interaction.

I did this for 13 years for The Home Office and then the MOJ.

In the end i found an office to work in on the government estate ie a probation office, HMCTS or a prison office to work from. It sounds great in principle but eventually you get fed up of not seeing people and the interaction.

Yeah, currently doing it three days per week with two days on site. Have done it a bit before but never been able to make it work. 13 years would kill me...

Only a few weeks of it left to go but will no doubt have to do it again in the future so was looking for tips.

The collective knowledge and wisdom of the SMB came up with "stop wanking", but not sure if that applies to @becs lol :lol:

Usually try and sort a few working from home days when the cricket is on. Nice to have on in the background.

Also as I'm in the house on my own means I get less interruptions.

I work about four days a week at home.

I've told the wife not to bother me, and I log off at the end of my day.

I don't act like I'm any different for working at home. Nobody I work with would know,

Stop making a big deal out of it. It's just work.

Great if you are self-employed or do bits of work for organisations. You never get that Monday morning feeling and although it can be distracting, it can also be easier to focus on a proper chunk of work. You need to be disciplined but you can make the time work for you.

Not so good if you are working from home and everyone else is in the office, you miss out on the interaction yet are still expected to be available and you feel guilty if you are not. In that situation I'd rather go in, get it done, and come home.

It's also a good bridge between 9 to 5 and retirement, all about circumstances and the job I suppose, wouldn't have it any other way now.

I get offered home working all the time but I prefer to come into the office.

The sound of everyone not interrupting me was worse than being interrupted.

"Shhhhhh, dads working"
"Dont go in there"
"Try later"
"Shhhh"

In the end I though, sod it, and went back to the office. I can remote in if theres some evening emergency, but I'd rather just go in and keep the 2 separate.

I'll do oncall for 1 week a month, each time I get a problem I'll have the kids fighting and my wife wanting her cups of tea. Even if I had my own room/office I doubt it'd stop anyone from distracting me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back