working for nout

It used to be the way some things were done. You might have the qualifications but not the experience and in that case a bit of volunteer work can be invaluable to get your foot in the door in your chosen career path. Dunno about now.

I volunteer as a school governor and to be honest there's been times when it's been more stressful than the job I'm paid to do. Ofsted inspections and reviewing exclusions means there is far more riding on my actions than it feels like there is in my day job (accountant).

I signed up to deliver meds and that for the local pharmacy during lockdown but couldn’t do it in the end cos I was something full time. I was expecting to be furloughed but I wasn’t.

Used to volunteer as ground staff at Peterlee parachute center as well when I wasn’t jumping but that was basically a hobby.

I’m far too selfish and lazy to do volunteer work like, but credit to those that do.

Apart from the pretend coppers, they’re just weirdos.
Some people work as Specials to help get into the police.

They have examples to talk about during the selection process and also it gives them the chance to see if police work is for them.

There are quite a few volunteer services that this country relies on.

It used to be the way some things were done. You might have the qualifications but not the experience and in that case a bit of volunteer work can be invaluable to get your foot in the door in your chosen career path. Dunno about now.

For highly competitive degree courses leading directly to a profession (Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, Dentistry, Law etc’) it’s almost a requirement to have done voluntary work to get onto the course. You need to have shown you’ve participated in the working environment you’d be going into and have an interest in it.

Around a third of the days I work every year I'm not getting paid - some months are livelier than others but most independent consultants will be similar.

Nothing wrong with voluntary work. Some people prefer job satisfaction to its monetary value.

For example, someone who has a stressful job will volunteer to do something they love to balance it out.

Some people do it to use as a stepping stone to get experience for a job they're applying for.

Others will do it to fill their time in doing something they enjoy.

It's a canny quality to see in someone instead of having the lazy putting them down as "being off ya tits"

Done a couple of regular volunteering roles. One was at St Benedict’s Hospice just talking to the patients who appreciated someone being around, the other was at a dog shelter walking and playing with the dogs waiting for a home.

Not convinced I was off my tits doing either. They were done in my spare time and whilst I wasn’t paid financially I definitely benefited in other ways.

Is that a typo or is there genuinely a ‘Hog Rescue’ centre somewhere in County Durham? :lol:
I was puzzled too. Mrs. R has informed me that he means Hedgehogs. Makes sense now .

called interns now. imported yank term.

Back