Work starting on new £11m auditorium in Sunderland city centre

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date

The beacon of light was meant to be promoted as a medium sized music venue was it not?

Yeah it was in the plans that practice pitches could also be used as a concert venue "to rival Newcastle's O2".

Then it wasn't included in the next plans or spoke about since.
The original echo article has been deleted but here says it as well

Last edited:
Yeah it was in the plans that practice pitches could also be used as a concert venue "to rival Newcastle's O2".

Then it wasn't included in the next plans or spoke about since.
Doesn't surprise me. And is precisely why there is so much abject apathy and negativity about the City at times. Rarely does any development turn out as planned. Always changed, cancelled or quietly shelved.

Its really good round that part of town like. They have done a great job with it over the last few years. Hotel on Keel Square is also another huge positive.

They really need to do summit with the old Idols block mind. Anyone know if any plans for it?

What the music industry needs is joined up thinking between venues of similar sizes across the UK and promoters/bands/labels. At the moment they seem to be competing with each other.
A number of acknowledged nationwide “circuits” based on venue size is reqd that cut down on on bands mileage travelled would help as the crisis crossing and doubling back on tours has always amazed me. Now in these more enlightened carbon emission conscious times mebbes the music industry in general could pull together and get itself some good publicity for once. I’m sure bands would prefer it as well.
An under 300 capacity circuit, under 600, under1000 etc etc circuit working together would work out cheaper for all.
This.

Was in Stockton yesterday for a little festival. They have the Arc, and a little room at The Georgian Theatre. Bands were on in a couple of other places. I was well impressed. I assumed Stockton was a shit hole. I was wrong.
Nicest of the teeside towns in Cleveland marra. Doesn’t say a lot mind.

Here's a good concise summary of all the work that has been done in this area of the City Centre, and how its fortunes are changing rapidly:

I wish they’d sort out the flats, they look absolutely minging. They’re like a monument to pre-Bridges concrete monstrosity Sunderland. Until they’re tarted up,(like Gilley Law, that facelift looks great) then they will continue to bring the city centre down.

I wish they’d sort out the flats, they look absolutely minging. They’re like a monument to pre-Bridges concrete monstrosity Sunderland. Until they’re tarted up,(like Gilley Law, that facelift looks great) then they will continue to bring the city centre down.

Wonder who owns them? SCC or gentoo?

The Gilley Law ones have been given a face lift but beginning to look poor again. The render has darkened quite a bit with dirt / damp?

Those blocks of flats are made mainly out of bricks.

Back