Work starting on new £11m auditorium in Sunderland city centre

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27897

Finally! Been waiting a while for this one.

Sunderland will finally have its own cultural and music venue. Massive addition to the city center and another pillar in what has been a completion transformation of the Minister/Keel Square area.

450 people capacity.Hardly pushing the boat out.A welcome addition but small time Sunderland as per usual.
Unless you are capable of standing. Odd you chose not to mention that.
smaller than the playhouse in Newcastle
customs house has a 441 seat capacity!!

ummm

will be a limited choice of bands that can or will play in that size venue
It clearly says 800 standing capacity.

but its the echo
so true facts could be anything
800 standing is still small
I'd say it was decent. No point in having another O2 sized place so close to the one in Newcastle. The Echo might be lying about the 450 seating capacity as well then? It's comparable to the Riverside venue down the Quayside which gets some canny sized gigs on.

Last edited:
That makes even more sense. Just need it to be supported.
Supported? That word seems to pop up a lot on these threads Harry. It doesn’t need supporting is needs good management good bands/entertainment.
Mind I agree that 800 standing is a great size. I’m sure it will be the new venue for the various things the council and Mac trust run from year to year. The comedy festival and writing festival as such so should be a good addition.

Supported? That word seems to pop up a lot on these threads Harry. It doesn’t need supporting is needs good management good bands/entertainment.
Mind I agree that 800 standing is a great size. I’m sure it will be the new venue for the various things the council and Mac trust run from year to year. The comedy festival and writing festival as such so should be a good addition.
True.
The Vaux site should have been used to build a new 10,000-15,000 seater entertainment arena to replace the shambolic Metro/Utilita Ice Hockey pitch instead of it going to Gateshead.
No private business would put it there rather than near the Sage. It would be great if they did.

Last edited:
and Brexit Party conference

Unless you are capable of standing. Odd you chose not to mention that.

It clearly says 800 standing capacity.
It'll be interesting to see what kind of events/artists/shows it attracts, because let's face it - it's small fry, with a 2,000 capacity venue already next door. It's not even on the same scale as Academy. So somewhere between that and the Cluny?
True.

No private business would put it there rather than near the Sage. It would be great if they did.
Maks me sick.

Last edited:
and Brexit Party conference
Can’t understand why people keep using the word brexit. 😆
The Riverside bar? Holds around 800 and gets some pretty big names on.
Seen some good bands upstairs at the academy too. Holds about 600 iirc.
Mind it needs to attract some good bands early doors and build a reputation. Even if it means subsidies. A cracking website with easy to use ticket services right from the start is a must.

Last edited:
Maybe. It'd just be canny if we had something bigger.
How big Chris? Like Harry said anything bigger and we are competing against the academy then bigger again the metro arena (or its new name). And considering these are well oiled venues with a good reputation with both fans and bands and an already in place infrastructure, we would be fighting a losing battle.
I think they have it right tbf. Big enough to attract the better acts that wouldn’t mind playing Sunderland and small enough to hold local activities and civic gatherings. Then build from there. A bigger venue would be another addition imo built on the success of this venue and a totally different venture.

Back